Guitar #2 1/2 White Spruce/Cherry (Start Over)/FINISHED!!!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Randy

Re: Guitar #2 1/2 White Spruce/Cherry (Start Over)

Post by Randy »

Your 50% done only 90% to go! Good job Dian and coo dos for not giving up. It really is the sign of who will end up making world class guitars. Every one there, has there horror stories. I'm not sure we quit making mistakes as much as knowing what to do when there made. I believe all art is recovery from mistakes!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I got a lot done and I finally feel like I'm making progress. I profiled the neck. Since having surgery on my right hand and being scheduled for my left in January, it's clear that I need a profile that ergonomic. I've looked at several patterns and I finally decided to do something that fits me, which is outside the norm.

I call this my ergonomic thumb groove profile. I have problems keeping my thumb in the proper location on the back of the neck. As a result, it puts a lot of stress on my wrist/hand. I have small hands, so I modified the regular "D" profile by moving the flat area of the "D" up. I also made a bit of a "dip" which fits the pad of my thumb perfectly. When I hold the neck, it automatically faces forward as it should, rather than tipping back with my thumb slipping to the top.

The profile is hard to see since it just happens to follow a grain line in the wood. The neck is very fast.
neck profile.jpg
neck profile 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I got the neck set. It only took me 3 days instead of 2 weeks this time. Now, time for the pain of finishing to begin...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've got the guitar prepped and ready to finish. I'm going to try french polishing. I made my first attempt tonight. The finish is hard, but I can see some pores. Since its cherry, it shouldn't need pore filling, but I think it would benefit from a little pore filling.

I stripped the shellac off and am in the process of putting a coat of Aqua Coat on.
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

pretty from here
can't wait to see the end result
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thank you John.

I decided to strip the first coat of shellac and pore fill with Aqua coat. What a difference! It was a good decision. From here on out, I'm pore filling all woods, even those that don't "require" it. I went ahead and pore filled the sides as well.

Here is the result of my first fp session, after a single pore filling:
first attempt 1.jpg
first attempt 2.jpg
hanging.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The finish on the guitar looks good. I like to pore fill most back and side wood as well.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thank you John. I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. I just completed session #2. The shine has increased; hopefully the reflections will start becoming more focused.
session 2.JPG
session2 2.JPG
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Wow! You're doing a lot better than I did with my French polish fiasco. Nice work.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Got up at 6 am and worked for 1 1/2 hours fp the back (coat 4) and now the sides. French Polishing certainly hardens the shellac quickly. I held the guitar firmly in my lap while working, which meant that the side that I'd just finished was in my lap. There was no impression left from my clothing, or any damage to the new finish. 2 more sessions to go today. I drip sweat. It's a great workout!

Now I can see how it's going to look. It's a good thing I stuck with the blond shellac and not a darker color.
1 left.JPG
1 right.JPG
1 wedge.JPG
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars