Guitar #2 1/2 White Spruce/Cherry (Start Over)/FINISHED!!!

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Guitar #2 1/2 White Spruce/Cherry (Start Over)

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The box is completely done and polished. I'm still working on finishing the neck, so it will be a few days before I set the neck. I'm in no big hurry, because the box can always benefit from curing further. I had problems with indentations in the finish on the OM and I do NOT want to revisit that nightmare.

I used the Stewmac polishing compound (fine) with the red lid.

A warning for those of you who want to use the compound: It has tiny clumps (about the size of a piece of sand) in it, which can indent the finish. I had this happen on the top. I got it out, but now I have a small place that I will need to repair.

The compound is extremely thick and dry. I ended up using a wet rag, which I dipped into the jar, taking up a small amount of compound, before polishing it into the shellac finish. This yielded much better results and a deeper shine, than using the compound alone.
front2.JPG
DSCF0502.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

MILESTONE!

I have set the neck! Later, I'll remove the clamps and get the fretboard, then the bridge glued. In the mean time, I'm going to preshape the nut and saddle.

I should have it strung up tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

The finish looks wonderful Diane
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Guitar #2 1/2 White Spruce/Cherry (Start Over)/FINISHED!

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The guitar that has tortured me to the very end is finally finished!!! I feel like I've run a marathon this time around.

It took some searching, but I finally found a university paper on the History of Lumbar Sizing in he US (how boring can you get?). In 1956, the thickness of lumbar was standardized by law to 3/4"; the downsizing started in 1940, in preparation for WWII.

The billets that I used to make the back and sides were 1" thick, which I found in an untouched storage area in the rafters of the lumbar yard. The 12" x 1" billet that I used for the back, was lost in history; I was charged for an 8" board, since they had no record of 12" wide cherry. Since the billets rang like a bell when tapped, I have no doubt that the incredible sustain and richness that this guitar exhibits, is due to the aged cherry.

This little guitar has the longest sustain of any guitar I've ever played; you can feel it vibrating in your body when you play. It's very well balanced; I was afraid that it would be bright sounding, but it's not. I hope to have a decent recording in the next few days to post.

So, here she is, Delilah (the naughty girl!):

Specs:

00-12fret
short scale 24.9"
forward shifted, englemann spruce bracing
4 1/8" deep body
ebony fretboard
ebony bridge
bone nut, saddle, and bridge pins
pommel mahogany rosette, wedge, and heel cap
curly sapele binding
cherry dovetail neck/heel block
grover 18/1 tuners
body french polished shellac
neck satin polyurethane (since it takes a beating)
asymmetrical profiled neck
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

More photos:
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

That is beautiful! I can't wait to hear a sound clip!
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Wow, really nice. Dittos on the sound clip.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Congrats Diane. Turned out just awesome! You will enjoy playing HER I'm sure.