Stahl Style 6 build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
John J

Stahl Style 6 build

Post by John J »

So I've started on a Stahl Style 6 inspired build. I'm not trying do an exact copy, but structurally follow the plans. It has a 10' back radius and 12' top so I built some radius bars to use when gluing the braces. The main x brace is a laminate of spruce and Brazilian rosewood. Mahogany neck glued up and this time I ran a dowel in the tenon for some added strength on the bolt inserts (a point where I stray from their joint).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
John J

Re: Stahl Style 6 build

Post by John J »

Profiled the sides and got them bent ( pre bent the waist first ). Such a nice feeling when you can drop the bent sides into the mold and they almost don't need any kind of spreader.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

A little more progress. Made the purfling that will be in the rosette as well as around the top edge. I also incorporated it into the back strip. It's not exact but I think it echos the original. Finished the rosette and have begun to glue braces in (using my newly made go-bar deck!).
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Very nice. I used a 10' back radius on my 00 inspired guitar. I also added some depth. The combination is outstanding. My top wasn't as radiused as yours, so I would think that the combo of the back and top radius that you're using, would yield comparable results.

That's going to be a really beautiful guitar.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ColestineGuitar

Post by ColestineGuitar »

Keep on blogging! I like your idea of doweling the neck tenon.
John J

Post by John J »

Thank for the nice words! Finished up gluing the braces in the go bar deck ( I like the ability to easily clean up the glue). Carved the braces and sanded both top and back. Notched the rims and will be ready to close the box.
Learning every day.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

That is some pretty bracing! How do the laminated x-braces affect the sound quality?
John J

Post by John J »

Some progress and some obstacles overcome. Not routing the back binding rebates before routing the neck mortise is not a good idea. Thought long and hard about how to fix this one. I decided to inlay a MOP triangle to disguise it. I also did one at the tail for symmetry. Overall pleased with how it turned out.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

Installing the top binding and purfling was challenging to say the least. That done I used my orbital sander and accidentally sanded through the outer rosette. (It was not as deep in that area because I had to rout the channel after I had installed the x braces. Soooo. Now what. Well I made up an insert that would fit snugly in the sound hole and carefully re-routed the outer channel. Installed the new purfling strip. Whew. I gotta start thinking before doing a little more often.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

Fixing the goof up.
Learning every day.