First kit is finished

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Re: First kit is finished

Post by johnnparchem »

The guitar looks great. I have learned to ignore the sound until it is properly setup, nut, saddle, relief ... I always find that the guitar sounds much better after a few days with the a good setup.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I agree I think it takes a while to get its voice.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Thanks, johnnparchem.

Although the nut slots are sized to the strings diameters, the strings were sticking. I don't know if it is the buffalo horn I used or if the slots are too tight, but I put on some wax which made tuning butter smooth. (Pix show I didn't do a good job cleaning up...)

And John H., you'd be interested to know the D-43.75 has really opened up since the set up last month. I believe the torrified top adds to its rich tonal character. I'm learning to be patient with the new guitars.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Jeez, you did a fantastic job; that is a beautiful guitar! As the others have said, when first strung, the guitar is always wanting in tone and voice. It takes a while for the wood to realize that it's a guitar and not a tree. It starts opening up after a day or so and continues for years.

Congratulations on a great build. I love the mandolins!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
LeftyAl

Post by LeftyAl »

beautiful work.All of your guitars look so prefect .