2nd Scratch build A Ziricote/ Carpathian Norman Blake

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: 2nd Scratch build A Ziricote/ Carpathian Norman Blake

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Do you have left over wood from cutting the rims to size? I used the left over cherry from sizing the rims on my guitar, to make the side struts. Your guitar is looking great.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Ms. Dianne, I haven't cut them yet. I didn't have any leftovers. My father told he has some mahogany sticks. I will cut some of them.

I finished this stem-mac Rosette. I used a craftsman roto tool I borrowed from my father and used some dremel engraving bit. This tool is too large to be super accurate you can't see. I almost stopped at two circles. I wish I would have. My last is not quite equidistant, but I can live with it. I got my back and top rough sanded to 100 on the back and 105 on the top. A local mill charges 25 per 15 minutes for me to use their 36 inch drum sander.

But she is coming along. I will cut my hole one I have decided on my bracing pattern. I am toying with the idea of lengthening the scale length to 25.4 for a little extra volume. Any thoughts?

Not that it matters to anyone else, but auto correct on spelling irritates me sometimes :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I had problems with my Dremel's circle jig. It slipped, so I ended up with a rout that went straight out from the first rosette that I inlaid. A lock washer took care of the problem, but there is always a minefield of problems that can happen.

I'm sure your rosette looks fine.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

kelley71 wrote:
But she is coming along. I will cut my hole one I have decided on my bracing pattern. I am toying with the idea of lengthening the scale length to 25.4 for a little extra volume. Any thoughts?

Not that it matters to anyone else, but auto correct on spelling irritates me sometimes :)
I would base your decision on scale length on playing style.

Higher tension equates to more volume, and longer scale length increases string tension. However, with the exception of low tension strings used for specialty purposes, increasing string gauge, will increase tension, giving the same results. This would compensate for a short scale. Go with what is comfortable for you and your playing style.

I have a friend named Sherm. My spell check replaced the h with a p in her name. She wasn't amused. Lol
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Well,

I had a bit of a catastrophe. I had my top braced. I glued it on. While removing the rubber bands I notices two things. The geometry was slightly off on the top shoulder. It wasn't quite symmetrical and then I had notices that the rubber band that broke had ripped the cuticle off my nail and I was bleeding on the top! The blood stain were horrible.

So with the glue being fresh, I sweated the top off and noticed many many cracks in the top running along the grain. This wood was not very stable from the get go considering it was quarter sawn. It curled like a potato chip and cracked a piece off the side from just taking it across town to the mill to use the drum sander.

So long story short, I cracked two braces trying to salvage it. So I am going to use another terrified red spruce top I have that I was saving for a Ditson style. I have corrected the geometry issue on the rim. It sets me back about 75.00 and a few evenings in time, but live and learn. Next time I will coat a thin vinyl sealer or shellac wash coat.

Best regards everyone,
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope your finger is okay. I'm sure your next top will turn out great.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
kelley71

Re: 2nd Scratch build A Ziricote/ Torrified Adirondack Spruc

Post by kelley71 »

Well,

I have been working a lot. But I have made some progress. I changed the new top to torrified red spruce. I used torrified sitka bracing. The first time I ever carved braces. They turned out ok. It was fun actually. I got the top glued. I braced the back and glued it in as well. I got my neck.

So I will get ready to scrape the sides to level for binding. I really want to sunburst this guitar, but I am scared to try it....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Binding done. I need to let her set a couple days to sand and scrape....
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Shaping up to be a gorgeous guitar.
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Well,

I have her ready to pore fill. I sprayed a thin coat of vinyl sealer on her as a seal coat. I am thinking of using Aqua Coat to pore fill with this time. They sell it locally at Woodcraft so I can avoid shipping. I have to leave tomorrow until Friday so project ton hold. Work calls...

Shaping up to be a nice guitar considering the challenges I faced in the beginning.

Regards,