2nd Scratch build A Ziricote/ Carpathian Norman Blake

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
kelley71

2nd Scratch build A Ziricote/ Carpathian Norman Blake

Post by kelley71 »

Hi guys,

I didn't get enough on the first try so I will do this again. My wife went to Europe to visit the inlaws of rest summer, so I can do this with no distractions.

This will be a Ziricote / Carpathian Norman Blake Style Guitar. I will have a ziri fingerboard, bridge and I am thinking of a jet black ebony head plate to offset too much ziri.

The is wood is beautiful, but my God is is brittle. Special thanks to Mr. Hall helping me out with materials and bending my sides. It is a pleasure doing business with him.

Thanks for looking,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Re: 2nd Scratch build A Ziricote/ Carpathian Norman Blake

Post by Danl8 »

This will be a stunning instrument. Good luck with the project and please, plenty of photos!
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

Excited to watch you work through this one. I'm curious about the Norman Blake top bracing. Are the tone bars simply pushed down further to make room for the lower bridge plate? Do you have a bracing template for the Norman Blake? Happy building!
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

wow the wood is stunning
RnB

Post by RnB »

Ziricote is such a striking looking wood! That combined w/ Carpathian Spruce should yield an excellent guitar. Go make Norman proud. :>)
mikewaz

Post by mikewaz »

Looks awesome!
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Hello all,

I have two different bracing patterns for a Blake Style. Attached are some bracing photos of a Brazilian Blake from the UMGF.It appears the bridge wings barely set on the braces. These photos show the X braces are shifted about an 1 inch forward compared to my stencils and drawings.

I am toying with shifting the X's forward like in the shadow photo. I need more research. I will employ the 3.75 in sound hole.

As far as the real Blake, I dont care for a neck that wide. I have a hard time thumbing bass notes. I will make a Taylor 12 fret style profile. I absolutely love the specs on my last neck I made. I had 2 3/16th string spacing and a 1.75 nut. I will make a 2.250 string spacing with a 1.75 nut.

The wood is striking. I have the rim glued now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Wow. Your guitar will be absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see the photos as you build it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

Thanks for those bracing images! Very cool stuff. I might just try it on my next one. (Oh wait, I'm not quite done with the one I'm on....oh well haha).
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Hi folks,

I am basically finished with the rim. I got her all contoured. I am debating on putting the side brace supports. I am out of "craft sticks" but Walmart is not far.

I am waiting on some bits to arrive so I can inlay my rosette. It will be a standard Stewmac Herringbone rosette.

Thanks for looking,