2nd Scratch build A Ziricote/ Carpathian Norman Blake

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Re: 2nd Scratch build A Ziricote/ Carpathian Norman Blake

Post by johnnparchem »

Either would work great, but I sure like the look of that ebony bridge in the middle of the burst.
RnB

Post by RnB »

^ +1

Although Ziricote complements the fretboard, I still like Ebony. Very nice burst...!
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

I think the ebony it will be. I got the fingerboard glued and rough shaped around the sound hole.

Here is a photo with the ebony just tack taped under. I measured the scale and wow the Blake has the bridge mount low on the bout.... It is even lower than the photo....

I used a 25.346 scale....

Thanks for looking,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Sweet! Was this your first burst? Impressive.
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Yes this was my first burst. I was going for kind of a shade but it worked out that way. I used colors from Re-ranch. I really liked their products. the different rattle can tips make a difference. You can almost get the control of a gun. I just don't want to spray color through my Iwata.

I am using Tru Oil on the neck and headstock only. I just finished refinishing the back. I had a pesky pea sized burn mark. Note to self, start with medium compound before ever starting with coarse. I should've known better, I wet sanded up to 1200. But nitro is cheap and I had it ready to respray in about an hour.

I know some of you like dovetail necks, but I won't build with another. I already strung this instrument. I didn't glue the extension. It was a perfect fit. No rattle. But nice thing is is that I can take it on and off for adjustments. I hated the sound when first played it. I has Daddario EXP-19 from advice from a friend. I have played Monel's exclusively since they came out. They sound warmer and feel like butter on your fingers. I have settled on the 12-53 Martin Retros. It sounded much better after it settled in.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-kelley-4 ... ter-set-up

If I had it to do over, I would have left the scale shorter. But I can always build another.

Here is a little sound clip of a simple G-C9-D progression. I got a little heavy picked but I made it in about 2 minutes on Garageband with no eq and recorded with a Logitech C910 webcam. My daughter's guitar teacher who is an Andy McKee reincarnate said he would love to make a video for me.= with some better recording equipment.

Thanks for looking,

BTW .... I get irritated by word correction on computer and phones. I always have to back and edit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B Shuler2006

Post by B Shuler2006 »

That Ziricote is absolutely stunning!
Brandon Shuler
Shuler Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's a truly stunning guitar! You did an outstanding job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com