My first scratch build, a J45.

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
justrfb

Re: My first scratch build, a J45.

Post by justrfb »

John,
I think this is the nicest guitar I have seen in a long time! What a beautiful instrument. I love the wood... I looked several times at the post to see if you tell us what the wood is but didn't find the information. What is the wood you are using, top back and sides? I am looking forward to seeing more pictures... Nice work.

Sincerely,
Rich

*** Found it... Maple. That is going to definitely be the wood I use for my next build. My last build was going to be maple but our son Mark wanted mahogany stained dark... Beautiful.
John J

Post by John J »

I cut the taper for my fretboard (slotted wenge from LMI) and had to figure out how to do the radius. I finally mad up a jig based on various other diy stuff around. I had purchased some 7" radius blocks earlier so I used some mdf to make a channel the same width as my sanding block. Then glued some 1/8" plywood strips that matched the fretboard taper to the bottom, keeping the centerline of the the fretboard true. Some elbow grease and 80 grit sandpaper and I am very pleased with the results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Very nice. I like your jig. I went with a 15" radius, which is a bit odd for some people.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com