#2 Solid Mahogany kit from Blues Creek

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: #2 Solid Mahogany kit from Blues Creek

Post by MaineGeezer »

That headstock binding with the added purfling strip really catches one's eye. You used ZipFlex for the abalone, I assume. That is great stuff.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

MaineGeezer wrote:That headstock binding with the added purfling strip really catches one's eye. You used ZipFlex for the abalone, I assume. That is great stuff.

Yes, I agree, the head stock really "pops" with the binding around it. It actually was not that hard to do or either I was really lucky!

That is real abalone, it came with the kit John put together for me. It went together pretty quick, I think I watched 3 or 4 different YouTube video's before I did it. I would use it again without any reservations. It looks really cool!

I am working on binding the fret board now with the same scheme I used on the headstock but I am using the binding with out splitting it.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're doing a great job. The binding and abalone looks terrific.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Awesome! Nice inlay job.

ZipFlex is real abalone, by the way, it's just been formed into flexible strips.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

MaineGeezer wrote:Awesome! Nice inlay job.

ZipFlex is real abalone, by the way, it's just been formed into flexible strips.
Ahhh! So that is cool! I will have to check it out.

Ok, headed to glue the binding to the fret board. More pictures later tonight!
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

Looks like it came out pretty good! I have to radius the bindings level to the fret board and install the frets.

Well, I think it's time to watch John's neck setting videos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm not sure what sequence you're planning, but FWIW I set my neck after applying the finish to both the neck and body. Among other things, this keeps the finish from gluing the neck in place and making it more difficult to do a neck reset 50 years from now. (Think "windows painted shut.")

Carrying that purfling line down the fingerboard is really nice.

I like the volute! I'm planning to try that on guitar #2.
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

I am going to fit the neck at this point so that I will not have much to do after I refinish the body and neck separately.

I wish I had done the binding around the body with the same scheme that I did on the fret board but to late now... Maybe I will remember on the next one!

My daughter is still deciding on the neck volute, I like it but she is leaning toward me sanding it off...

Thanks for keeping me straight! All suggestions are always welcome!

Benjy
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yes -- fit the neck now, so you just have to do minimal tweaking after finishing when you install the neck for real. (Left/right alignment check, up/down angle check.) There are probably other things to check that I'm overlooking -- watch John's video.
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

I made some progress this week end. I have the bindings on the fret board leveled, and I installed the frets. I measured and marked the location of the bridge. I put a single piece of tape to mark the location.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.