Need Inlay Opinions

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Need Inlay Opinions

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm not starting a new blog, but I need opinions. I designed this headstock motif from left over shell from inlaying my fretboard. It's a small inlay that is 1 3/4" long and 1 1/2" wide. It would sit between the top tuners.

Would you please give me your opinions? Thanks!
peghead design.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
watergunn

Re: Need Inlay Opinions

Post by watergunn »

Love it!!!

Rick Gunn
hanksnowy

Post by hanksnowy »

For me too much stem and not enough flower and flower looks square. No offense intended.
Snowy has no location, job, interests, or money,
but is willing to help whenever he can.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

hanksnowy wrote:For me too much stem and not enough flower and flower looks square. No offense intended.
There is no offense taken in any way, shape, or form. I need honest opinions and I thank you!

I have 2 other flowers that are left over from the vine inlay from the fretboard; they're rounded and a bit larger. I would have liked a 3rd flower, but I'm not sure that mixing the 2 types of flowers will work. I could round off the edges of these flowers, so at least the basic shape is a better match, but these flowers have that tiny abalone center; the vine flowers don't.

Here is a photo of the fretboard so you can see what I mean about different flowers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

looks fine to me
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I think it looks great.
Tim Benware
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I think the headstock inlay is a beautiful complement to the fingerboard. Consistent but different. My opinion, a fine choice.
peter havriluk
hanksnowy

Post by hanksnowy »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:
hanksnowy wrote:For me too much stem and not enough flower and flower looks square. No offense intended.
There is no offense taken in any way, shape, or form. I need honest opinions and I thank you!

I have 2 other flowers that are left over from the vine inlay from the fretboard; they're rounded and a bit larger. I would have liked a 3rd flower, but I'm not sure that mixing the 2 types of flowers will work. I could round off the edges of these flowers, so at least the basic shape is a better match, but these flowers have that tiny abalone center; the vine flowers don't.

Here is a photo of the fretboard so you can see what I mean about different flowers:
I see a certain delicateness in the fretboard flowers that is not present in the flowers your asking about. I don't see them as a good match. If you can manipulate your photos so that their viewed next to each other I think you'll see what I mean. To all of you who disagree, I, the minority do respect your opinions. I think rounding the flowers would increase the disproportion between vine and bloom. You could try thinning down the vines but thats unreversible.
Last edited by hanksnowy on Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowy has no location, job, interests, or money,
but is willing to help whenever he can.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

hanksnowy wrote:
Diane Kauffmds wrote:

I see a certain delicateness in the fretboard flowers that is not present in the flowers your asking about. I don't see them as a good match.
If you can manipulate your photos so that their viewed next to each other I think you'll see what I mean. To all of you who disagree, I respect your opinions.
I think rounding the flowers would increase the disproportion between vine and bloom. You could try thinning down the vines but thats unreversible.
You've helped me a lot. I'm going to replace the flowers, with two flowers I have left over from the fretboard. This will allow it to match the fretboard. Thank you.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've had a hard time deciding which flowers to use and hanksnowy helped me with my final decision. I replaced the flowers with those left over from the fretboard inlay. Although you can't see it in the photo, I know when I do the final sanding that the flowers will be white mop, but the type that has a lot of color. I may need to shift the flowers a bit to make it look better, but you get the idea.
peghead with vine flowers.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars