Cherry parlor guitar, project #2

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: Cherry parlor guitar, project #2

Post by MaineGeezer »

Kevin -- I was also thinking it might do okay for bluegrass, because it's loud and the bass response is so good....but a more unlikely candidate for a bluegrass guitar would be hard to find! This guitar is small, with a 12-fret neck. About as far from the standard bluegrass dreadnought as you can get.

This Friday there's a monthy coffeehouse in town. A bluegrass guitarist often comes to it. I'll take the guitar, and if he's there I'll get his reaction to it.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Thanks

Ed
Ed M
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

MaineGeezer, your guitar looks and sounds great. You took on some challenging elements and pulled it off. Gives me hope for my own (simpler) projects!
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Congratulations! That is a really nice guitar and sounds great, too. Are you going to use the bracing design of this instrument on your next project?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Danl8 wrote:Congratulations! That is a really nice guitar and sounds great, too. Are you going to use the bracing design of this instrument on your next project?
The next project may be a banjo, so probably not. <grin>

If I build another guitar I might be tempted to use it though.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You done good!

What happened to, "this is probably my last guitar. I have no plans to build another."???

I've been waiting to say this for a couple of weeks. I TOLD YOU SO!!! Ha! You'll be building and working on instruments for the rest of your life. You should, you have the talent.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'll probably build more instruments, but I'm not sure about another guitar. I've got seven guitar cases stacked up in my office! I'm running out of room to put them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

MaineGeezer wrote:I'll probably build more instruments, but I'm not sure about another guitar. I've got seven guitar cases stacked up in my office! I'm running out of room to put them.
Love that picture!! There is still room before you reach the ceiling - you're maybe halfway there?
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

A friend of mine collects tractors and his motto is

Never park your tractors in a row

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Finally -- a decent sound sample

Post by MaineGeezer »

I was finally able to connect with my friend Jud Caswell, who is a professional singer/songwriter and who, unlike me, can actually play a guitar. Here's a sound clip of him doing some fingerpicking. The recording sounds more "metallic" than it did in reality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.