Cherry parlor guitar, project #2

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: Cherry parlor guitar, project #2

Post by MaineGeezer »

I drilled and reamed the bridge pin holes and got the saddle and nut roughly fitted, enough to put strings on. I tried some light gauge GHS silk and bronze. It sounds very nice, with good sustain and full tone from bass to treble. Carter's unorthodox bracing scheme seems to work quite well. I'll have a better idea after I get the saddle and nut properly shaped so the strings don't buzz because they are resting on the flat top of the saddle instead of a well-defined break point. Initial impression though, is highly favorable. Yahoo!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Great news; can't wait to see the photos of the finished guitar!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Sure is fun to hear a guitar fro the first time. There is a huge difference between the sound of the rough setup and a proper setup. An exciting time.
MaineGeezer

Photos

Post by MaineGeezer »

It is pretty much complete. The saddle still needs the ends trimmed and a few frets need to be crowned after leveling. I may polish the finish again. Otherwise, it's DONE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

More photos

Post by MaineGeezer »

Here are some more photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Sound sample

Post by MaineGeezer »

Here is a sound sample. The microphone was not all that great, but I think it still sounds pretty good.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Well done - the cherry looks great.

About the rosette and purfling - how much time do you have into it? Was it hard to level? Would you do it again?

And can you show another picture of the peghead so I can see how the slots in the front don't come through in the back.

Ed
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yes siree, it sounds like a GEETAR.
Nicely done, sounds great...would make a great bluegrass player I think.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

congratulations, looks and sounds great!
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Well done - the cherry looks great.

About the rosette and purfling - how much time do you have into it? Was it hard to level? Would you do it again?

And can you show another picture of the peghead so I can see how the slots in the front don't come through in the back.

Ed

There are some more pictures of the peghead in the blog starting here
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7255&start=70#p40532 and for the next few entries. If there is some other angle you would like to see, let me know. There is nothing particularly complicated about it-- I just cut grooves with a 9/16" diameter ball-end cutter that are 5/8" deep, and the headstock (with the cap) is 3/4" thick. I happen to have a milling machine, but you could do it with a router and fences or templates to guide the cuts.

As far as the purfling goes....that's described in previous entries. The installation was was more difficult than I anticipated. The black epoxy filler made a mess when I sanded it. It's important to have the groove the proper depth, because the pattern is not very thick (0.040" I think) and while that ought to be plenty, my general lack of skill in installing the stuff resulted in me sanding through the rosette. I had to cut out the remains of the rosette and install a new strip.
It is also fairly expensive. Including the fret markers and tail pin, I think the assorted Purflex items for the rosette, back strip, and edge purfling came to something like $204. Plus another $40 or something for the second piece I needed to replace the one I sanded through in the rosette.
The stuff does look nice, especially when it's installed by somebody who has more artistic talent than I do. Some of the pictures on the Purflex website http://purflex.net/Purflex/Welcome.html are incredible.
I am glad I tried it, and I (mostly) like the result. Would I do it again? Probably not. If for some reason the right situation came up (e.g. somebody with more money than brains asked me to build them a guitar with Purflex trim) I guess I would, but I doubt I'll ever do it for myself again.