Cherry parlor guitar, project #2

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Cherry parlor guitar, project #2

Post by MaineGeezer »

I don't want to get too far into this project before I finish the first one, but I just got the cherry back and sides for guitar #2 from Adirondack Tonewoods. It looks very nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Phil

Re: Cherry parlor guitar, project #2

Post by Phil »

That'll make a fine looking guitar!
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

That is a nice looking set. It will make a great looking guitar.
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

I think I see a slight flaw in one of the sides. You might want to send the whole set to me so I can check it out...

It was worth the shot! Nice set. Best wishes building it.

Sincerely,
Rich
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

That's a great looking set.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Matthews

Post by Bob Matthews »

A fantastic looking back and side set, would look great with some ebony binding, can't wait to see the finished result.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I really appreciate non-standard woods - looks great.

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Bob Matthews wrote:A fantastic looking back and side set, would look great with some ebony binding, can't wait to see the finished result.
I'm planning on dark binding of some sort, probably rosewood, with Purflex Celtic purfling ( http://www.purflex.net ). The Purflex gets filled with black epoxy after installation, so it will have a black background. I could do ebony, I suppose, except ebony can be very uncooperative to bend. Rosewood should be dark enough to give plenty of contrast, and it bends a lot more easily. All that is just in my imagination so far though. I haven't bought any of the trim yet.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

MaineGeezer wrote:
Bob Matthews wrote:A fantastic looking back and side set, would look great with some ebony binding, can't wait to see the finished result.
I'm planning on dark binding of some sort, probably rosewood, with Purflex Celtic purfling ( http://www.purflex.net ). The Purflex gets filled with black epoxy after installation, so it will have a black background. I could do ebony, I suppose, except ebony can be very uncooperative to bend. Rosewood should be dark enough to give plenty of contrast, and it bends a lot more easily. All that is just in my imagination so far though. I haven't bought any of the trim yet.
I have used black fiber bindings and they look just like ebony under a finish. I did one of my cutaways with ebony, it was a real pain bending the cutaway curves. I promised myself next time I needed black bindings I would use black fiber, or even a black dyed wood.
Bob Matthews

Post by Bob Matthews »

johnnparchem wrote:
MaineGeezer wrote:
I have used black fiber bindings and they look just like ebony under a finish. I did one of my cutaways with ebony, it was a real pain bending the cutaway curves. I promised myself next time I needed black bindings I would use black fiber, or even a black dyed wood.

I do concur that bending ebony can be a pain, but have never been able to bring myself to using substitutes and god forbid, plastic!!
That being said, a nice dark rosewood would look equally as good and is as easy to bend as plasticine, (well, almost).