#3, my first 'scratch' build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Jcolvin

Re: #3, my first 'scratch' build

Post by Jcolvin »

And the adventure continues! As you saw, I had braced up the backs and fronts a few weeks ago. Well the air was much dryer back then and with no way for me to accurately control relative humidity in my 'shop', along with a week of rain and fog in the Chicago area, the pieces now have a beautiful ~4ft radius instead of the original 17ft. Any ideas on how to remedy this? One thing after another...but it's part of the fun and I love learning this stuff!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'll trade you some of my excess back radius for some of your too-small radius. ;)

The 15' radius on the back of my guitar became virtually flat, if not a trifle concave. I'm beginning to get the idea that this humidity control business is important!

You should be able to get back to where you want to be by reducing the humidity, or possibly by moistening the concave side.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

My top almost flattened out. Since my husband did HVAC his entire life before retiring, you would think that our house would be very controlled, but you'd be wrong! Our humidificton/dehumidification only happens with the system running. With a very high efficiency system, it doesn't run enough to control the humidity.

Since my problem seems to stem from a lack of humidity, I've decided to start storing my wood in a closed case with an Oasis humidifier, just like the finished guitar will be stored.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:
Since my problem seems to stem from a lack of humidity, I've decided to start storing my wood in a closed case with an Oasis humidifier, just like the finished guitar will be stored.

I like that idea. I have some humidipaks laying around that supposedly keep the case around 45%. I'll put them in a case with a humidipaks for a week or so. Thanks for the tip.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

humidity can be a culprit do you know that the RH was when you glued up and what it is now 35 to 40% change can be rather drastic
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

When I glued it up RH was 40%. It's now 60%.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I know if I tried to glue only when the humidity is 50%, I would never get my guitar done.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Update on the flattened back. It's getting a radius back into it again. I noticed it while I was applying the finish on the guitar. I suppose the finish could have something to do with it, but I suspect the back is getting its radius back because of the change of season and turning off the heat in the house so the humidity level has gone up.
Amazing what the humidity level can do.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

All right so I kept the wood at 45% for just over a week while I was out of town. I got back home yesterday and it looks the same:(. I also tried wetting the concave side to see if that helped but it didn't seem to budge. Perhaps I need to use more water. I'm really hoping I don't have to re brace it! But in the end if that's what needs to be done, I will. I wonder if I put a bit of weight on the convex side for a few days maybe? Any thoughts on that?
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I wouldn't put water on it. You can either give it more time or carve those braces off and start again. That can go a lot quicker then you may think, and if done carefully down close to the back, then use a razor blade like a scraper to remove the last slivers of wood and glue, sand and reglue.
You'd be done with the removal in under half hour I'd bet.
Good luck with it.
Buy the way, I work in an unheated, uncooled garage shop where the humidity goes as high as 70% in the winter and down to 20% in the summer. I basically just build. Occasionally I'll have an issue, but in the end they have all turned out good. If I could, I would work in a controlled environment, but since I can't I just go for it.

Kevin