#3, my first 'scratch' build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: #3, my first 'scratch' build

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I would put it in a plastic garbage bag with a guitar humidifier, such as an Oasis humidifier. It would keep the humidity in at a higher level, without the wood coming in contact with water. Check it every day to see what happens. You need to keep it humidified, but not to the point of becoming wet.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

Thanks for your help everyone! I'm not sure what route I'm going to take, but leaning towards rebracing and just making sure I close the box the same day to prevent it from happening again. Not sure yet though. In the mean time I got started making a bending form and ordered a heat blanket from blues creek. The form is still in the works but I just have to screw it together basically.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

Oh my I wish I bent this way sooner! So easy, fast, and perfect shaped sides. A dream come true. For about $175 with the blanket and slats and hardware, I'd say it was well worth the step up from bending (and burning) on a pipe. Moving onward...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

looks like a nice setup.
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

Got some more work done. I bent the sides before cutting them to profile, so I glued the neck and tail blocks in, then used my paper side template I made to trace the profile onto the sides. Then I cut close to the line with a coping saw and finished with a spoke shave to get right down to the line. This is the first time Ive done it this way, as on my first two builds I profiled the sides before be ding them. I think I like doing it after bending better.
Next I installed the kerfing and side reinforcements. I forgot to get a picture with all the clothespin clamps in place. And today I managed to find the time t close up the box and route the binding channels. I still need to route the purfling channel on top before installing the bindings. The box is quite resonant when I tap it! I hope that's a good sign ha.
I really love doing this.
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

More photos
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It's looking a lot like a guitar! Nice work.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

Bent the maple binding in the bender today. One of them broke in two spots. D'oh! I didn't wet them at all. Bad move?? I put the four strips next to each other and taped them together at the ends. Never broke a binding on a pipe bender, maybe I'll use the pipe for bindings from now on
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I used curly maple on my OM. I've never bent wood. We have a canister style steamer (used for cleaning). Using the inside of the guitar mold, which I lined with glad wrap to protect, I steamed each strip and slowly bent it to shape inside of the mold. I didn't prewet them, but I used a lot of steam, along with gentle pressure.

After bending all 4 pieces, I kept them clamped to the inside of the guitar mold until I was ready for them, which was over a week. It allowed them to dry, for the bends to become permanent, and it protected them. Here's a photo of the first two pieces of binding, just after I bent them. I know it's hard to see, but there are 6 clamps in use.

The binding fit like the proverbial glove.
binding in mold.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

BTW, the guitar is looking super good! I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. I've found that working with wood puts me into a "zen" state and is stress reducing.

I had planned on shaping the rims after they're bent too. I'm going to use my ancient, but beloved, Stanley low angle hand plane to shape it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars