#3, my first 'scratch' build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Jcolvin

Re: #3, my first 'scratch' build

Post by Jcolvin »

The neck is carved! My two main tools used were a 50 grit sanding drum drill bit and a spoke shave. That sanding drum bit worked wonders!! It was quick, but not so aggressive to where I was afraid of a slip of the hand. And I found a spoke shave to be an absolutely wonderful tool for shaping the long shaft of the neck. It went quicker than I thought all in all at about two hours start to finish, finish sanding and all. Next time I'll make the heel a little less chunky. I used a spray paint can lid for the radius at the heel, next time I think I'll use a bigger radius to give it a little more of a sleek look. I used Martin's measurements for neck thickness for a low profile neck 1st fret .823, 6th .854 and 10th .882. The neck feels like it'll be super comfortable and easy to play. I hope it is anyway! Can't wait to give it a try!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

One more photo. Of the topside. The head plate is bubinga, a cut off from the back pieces.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Why wait until next time to make the heel less chunky? Though judging from a picture is not very reliable, it looks as though you could reduce the heel by about half if you feel so inclined.

I thought you would like a spokeshave!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

MaineGeezer wrote:Why wait until next time to make the heel less chunky? Though judging from a picture is not very reliable, it looks as though you could reduce the heel by about half if you feel so inclined.
I did actually take it back about 1/2" and am satisfied with it. I've been a little MIA on here, but I've been working. Made the nut, installed the tuners, and put a finish on it! I used a water based clear pore filler from Stewmac. I was happy with the workability of the product, but I kind of liked the dark pores I got using behlens pore filler on my last build, so I might go back to that next time. I finished the neck with Tru oil - I loooove how easy it is to finish necks with that stuff. And I sprayed the body with ktm9 water based finish. I really enjoyed working with this finish. It's easy to spray, and rubbed out nicely. I only used steel wool to rub it out and only after all costs were applied so as to avoid getting steel dust wet with the water based product and end up with rust in my finish. So after all costs were applied, I rubbed it out with 000 wool then 0000 wool, then simply used johnsons paste wax with a white 3m abrasive pad, let the wax dry (about 5 minutes) then buffed it out. Waited 10 more minutes and buffed again. It looks and feels good! And it went very quickly considering I didn't spend 20 minutes per grit working my way up to 2000 with sandpaper. All I need to do now is get the bridge positioned and glued, make the saddle and set it up!
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

Here's a photo of the guitar next to my first build. I have a lot of pride in this guitar as I did a lot more of the work than on my first, such as bending the sides, thicknessing and joining the top and back, and building the neck from a blank.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The guitar looks great. Very nice!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Very, Very nice! You did a great job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com