My first Classical guitar

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: My first Classical guitar

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I did a joint on the butt of the guitar like in the diagram. I'll get a picture tonight when it is all scraped and sanded flush. I think it came out okay, but I think if I do it again, I'll make a tiny .060" wide chisel for cutting the 45's on the purfllings. I made the slot for the end strip before I installed the bindings, and installed the end strip after the bindings were on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Not a great pic, glue line is reflecting, the bottom binding joint has a little chip out I got when cutting the binding to length in the heat of the moment with all the glue just waiting to set up on me. I think my chisel was not quite sharp enough. I'm hoping I can sand it out, but if not, oh well. The miters on the purfling came out okay. The black line is so thin you can barely see it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm doing the same thing Kevin. The only difference is in structure. I'm using purfling that's the same depth as the binding, as well as the traditional. Basically, I'll be making an "L" shape with the wide and narrow purfling, in which the binding will sit.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Randy

Post by Randy »

Looking good Kevin I know what your saying about the miters, gotta use those magnifying bug eyes on those miters and the small chisel to keep from mucking other things up...a really polished back helps to see the angles. Which I'm sure you already know..
BradHall

Post by BradHall »

Very nice work.
Kevin Sjostrand

I made a lot of progress this weekend. Fretboard is made, slotted and glued to neck. The neck is almost done, just a little clean up around the heel and headstock transition. The shaft is done.
Pictures to follow. I forgot to take them yesterday.
RnB

Post by RnB »

That looks great Kevin. :>) I'm sure mitered joints like that are very difficult to pull-off. I know they would be for me. When all done & finished...it really showcases a luthiers skills...
Kevin Sjostrand

Still some minor shaping and sanding to do on the neck, then I'll start installing the frets.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

sweet looking guitar! The neck looks great!
Kevin Sjostrand

Thanks John. I'm still a little thick under the nut so I'm hoping I can still shape that back strap, I didn't intend for it to be squared off and not sure I like it that way. My wife says it is fine so that is good that she likes it.