My first Classical guitar

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Re: My first Classical guitar

Post by johnnparchem »

Sweet! You get to carve the neck heel on the guitar. I have been afraid to try it.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

John, I am STILL afraid to try it, but heh I have no choice this time. I will go very slow with a very sharp chisel for sure.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm sure you'll do a great job with the neck. Would a spoke plane make it easier to carve the neck?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Diane, I've carved quite a few necks, but always OFF the guitar; bolt on necks. This time the heel has to be carved up against the sides, so that is the scary part :)
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I learn something every day on this forum. I would be nervous too, but I'm sure you're up to the task and it'll turn out fine.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Work has been slowed down, but is picking up again. I have the red/black side purflings attached to the curly maple bindings and all scraped down flush. Next step is to make the purfling cutter so I can score the top before I touch it with a router. Perhaps before the coming weekend is over I'll be gluing the bindings on. (hope, hope, hope).
Kevin Sjostrand

No bindings on, all I got done is sanding the sides flat and reading for routing. Working a little on a purfling cutter. Slow slow slow.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Work has been slowed down, but is picking up again. I have the red/black side purflings attached to the curly maple bindings and all scraped down flush. Next step is to make the purfling cutter so I can score the top before I touch it with a router. Perhaps before the coming weekend is over I'll be gluing the bindings on. (hope, hope, hope).
I can't wait to see photos of the purfling with the colors that you've chosen.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

I got a purfling cutter made. Then I glued up a piece of MDF and redwood, a cut off of the top I'm using. I put a thin coat of shellac around the perimeter set the cutter to do a .150" wide cut, the same that my bearing will do. The cutter works great and cut a .060" deep score on multiple passes, making a clean cut through the top fibers. Then I routed for the binding and purfling and glued in some purfling and the binding, scraped it down to see how it will look. The fit for this scheme was good. See the pics. Red/black on the sides and red/black/red on the top. I'll also use this on the back I think. So next I do it on the guitar for reals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin, I really like your choice of color scheme. Your cutter is a great idea and the resulting channel routed for the purfling looks nice and clean.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars