Martin Pre War ish...

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
kelley71

Re: Martin Pre War ish...

Post by kelley71 »

Well after fighting with the USPS for a few days. I finally got my neck and fingerboard. I was able to get my veneer glued and trim. My dovetail set.

Maybe i got lucky, but I didn't have to do much to get this right. She was almost dead in the center, and the neck angle difference height from the 12th fret to the saddle placement was around .190 inches.

So she is almost read to finish. I could help but take some mock photos of it.

Has anyone ever glued a fretboard after finishing the neck? If I wait, until I finish the inlay, it will set me back a week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

I have got a little work done since last time.

I pore filled over the weekend. I shot some nitro tonight. BTW, the balloon idea was awesome thank you.

FYI if you buy an Iwata from Japan, make sure you buy the cup. It has been a complete PITA to find a cup for the one I bought. I got tired of waiting and shot it with an older gun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

More photos...
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It looks really great; I love the wood, it really pops!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

Nice looking rosewood.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Thanks Mr. Brian,

As Brians knows, I got in a hurry on my final coat and got a huge run on the upper right bought. I made a fatal mistake and tried sanding it too soon with scotch bright. Well it tore the finish. I tried to feather it back and I just could take that big dip. So......

I masked and taped the entire finish except the top. Sanded it clean to wood and started over. I was out of Cardinal so I picked up some Behlens at Woodcraft. They said they go through it like crazy and that had been on the shelf since April 15.

I will say, I will use Behlen on my next build. On my spray gun, I am using a Northern Tool Vaper Mini gun 1mm tip. It lays down very smooth. I fly would slip and fall it is so slick after it dried. Yesterday the RH in Houston was 42 %. I sprayed 4 light coats 2 hours apart with 400 grit level sanding. I will say If I strung it up now I would be happy. But I will complete another day of coats before the humidity returns.

I am not sure what happened but my neck height changed? I had a slight slight twist, now I have to shim my DT neck to get her to set right.

I will say the finishing has been the hardest part.... But the experience is amazing.

Regards,

Mike
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Noodle on new guitar.m4a
Well,

Ready or not here she is strung. I need to make some adjustments, and buff it out next weekend, and stick the pick guard, I have a new set of pins coming for the bridge that look nicer, but here is a quick sound clip.

Pardon my playing...
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

it looks very nice indeed
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It looks really nice! Good job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Here is a better sound clip with a teacher playing my dread.

Tony Rice Monel Strings recorded on iPhone. The action is a tad low for this style of playing because he plays hard. But an excellent guitarist at that.

I reshaped the fingerboard to follow the sound hole. Wow changed the whole sound. It sounded very similar to my D-35. It really made the middle strings come out more.