Martin Pre War ish...

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Ben-Had

Re: Martin Pre War ish...

Post by Ben-Had »

mnmusic wrote:Nice workmanship. That's an interesting neck block you're using.

Ed
Looks like a typical Martin neck block. That back piece is used as a clamping caul and goes over the popsicle brace.
Tim Benware
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Yes sir, I ordered my kerfing and blocks from Martin. I got my bracing finished except drilling the hole for the truss rod. I got all the kerfing installed. I installed the support pieces on the sides. I routed out the dovetail with my flush bit. I got the end graff carved but not installed. I made a mistake and cut too large for my ordered piece. So I have to make a bigger one. No big deal.

I need to build some sanding bars so I can contour the rim, notch the top for braces, and glue her down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You're doing a nice, clean job. As far as the species of back and sides, you've got some nice wood with beautiful figure. I think you'll have a guitar that you can be very proud of when finished.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Thank you folks for the compliments. This is definitely a learning experience. I have driven my wife crazy by working in the study (Dyson close by)

I leveled and sloped my top rim today. I also glued and flush cut my soundboard to the sides. I did not tuck the X braces in the rim. I just feathered them down to the edge with a strong butt joint. There are 100 different opinions, but I will see what it sounds like. I won't be using her or a tennis racquet so I hope she is fine.

One thing I will do different next time is rough cut my soundboard a little cleaner. I left the sides a little long and the rubbers bands starting to bend. So I relieved a few, routed, put the back, and repeated 10 times until I had the entire top flush cut, I was afraid the pressure was going to crack the overhand on the top in the wrong spot.

It is starting to look like a guitar now. I have hit a stopping point. I have to get some new braces for the back. I have a slight ripple on the bottom edge close to where the heel block goes. I will have to straighten that.

But I am excited. Thanks for looking....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Yes, It is starting to look like a guitar. The top looks good. "I have a slight ripple on the bottom edge close to where the heel block goes" What do you have a slight ripple in?
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

The ripple is on the back. It was partially quatersawb and started to cup bad. I ironed it out and clamped it between some cardboard. But there is a slight ripple I guess I need to steam it out and clamp it flat for a few days.

Is not steam a guy said I could use a veneer softener maybe? It is about .095 thick rosewood.

Thanks,
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Hi all. I got my back glued on and was out of town for work. I built a radiused caul this evening out of square dowel. I traced my longest back brace and hit it with the saw and then put some 2 sided tape and 60 grit on my brace and rubbed them together lightly until I saw no light. It was messy but it worked and only cost 3.00.

The humid here in Houston is awful. I glued all my rim so far at 50 % RH. it is 62 RH in the house with the AC on. So I want to wait to glue my back braces and back rim on until I can get it close to 50 again.

Here is my last photo taken out of the mold...

Thanks for looking,
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I can imagine that you're battling humidity down in TX. Where I live in WV, it goes from very humid to single digits in a day, with the breeze that comes over the mountains, so I battle high and low humidity.

Don't feel bad about using the study; we haven't been able to use our dining room for more than a year with my guitar building. I just don't like working in the basement. However, our old house has a nice, big porch, so I try to do the really messy stuff out there weather permitting.

Your guitar is coming along great.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

Well over the weekend, I made a contouring jig for backs. I got my back rims profiled. They turned out perfect. The humidity finally came down enough to re-brace the back. I notched the rims for the braces carefully. Just a little cosmetic clean up, sign the top, and she will be ready to close up. It is turning out nice. I just wish this back matched the sides a little more. I could stain it a hair darker what do you guys think?

Thanks for looking and the wealth of shared information. I couldn't have gotten this far without it,

Mike
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

I got my binding channels cut with my back glued. I made 2 nicks I wish I could change but, I will feather it in a finish. I will bind tomorrow. This is the most addicting hobby. Definitely interrupts my sleep time.

I bought a Rigid trim router from Home Depot. I was using a craftsman rotary cutter kit for the other stuff. The precision depth adjustment is awesome on this router. I was able to attach a guide kit I had bought for KMG.