Martin Pre War ish...

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Martin Pre War ish...

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I prefer to shape the fingerboard around the soundhole as well. I guess the question you asked earlier is moot at this point, but I like finishing the guitar and neck, before gluing the fretboard.

You're guitar sounds great! Congratulations.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
kelley71

Post by kelley71 »

I just shaped the fingerboard with a drum sanding attachment to my cordless and worked it around. I had to reset the neck to get the action at the adjustable range I wanted. It was too high and I didn't take the top deflection in consideration the first time.

Its good for my playing style of "chord banging bluegrass rhythm" The blues that the teacher was playing with metal picks was a tad too much for that low action in the clip.

I bought a DA polisher from harbor Freight, 70 bucks. I finished it and I looked ok. I tried it with again with 3 inch buffing wheels attached to an straight shaft air die grinder and it really popped then. You have have to be careful with the handle. Not as good as an arbor but it worked similar with zero swirl marks without the expense for a guy learning.

Overall I learned a lot. I relearned high school geometry and wood shop. I drove my wife nuts. I will be ready to do it again. I just need a little break to catch up on some "Honey Doos"
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

kelley71 wrote:I just shaped the fingerboard with a drum sanding attachment to my cordless and worked it around. I had to reset the neck to get the action at the adjustable range I wanted. It was too high and I didn't take the top deflection in consideration the first time.

Its good for my playing style of "chord banging bluegrass rhythm" The blues that the teacher was playing with metal picks was a tad too much for that low action in the clip.

I bought a DA polisher from harbor Freight, 70 bucks. I finished it and I looked ok. I tried it with again with 3 inch buffing wheels attached to an straight shaft air die grinder and it really popped then. You have have to be careful with the handle. Not as good as an arbor but it worked similar with zero swirl marks without the expense for a guy learning.

Overall I learned a lot. I relearned high school geometry and wood shop. I drove my wife nuts. I will be ready to do it again. I just need a little break to catch up on some "Honey Doos"
I went to Harbor freight and bought the 3" polishing attachment that is mushroom shaped. I used it with my Ryobi drill for the final polish. It does a great job.

I know what you mean by catching up. When I'm working on a project, whether it be guitar building or designing clothes, I give it my full concentration. Everything else is neglected until I finish.

You're doing a fantastic job.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The guitar looks and sounds great!