My 000 Deep Body Kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
John J

Re: My 000 Deep Body Kit

Post by John J »

I noticed that I seem to be slowing down as I move closer to the finishing stage. I think I'll go with Tru Oil. It's amazing to think the construction process is nearing the end. Anyway I glued the fretboard on then moved on to sanding the neck and started dressing the frets. Thinking about what to do for the next one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

Frets are dressed and cleaned up. Nut slot cut and cleaned. Shaped my headstock. Shaped the underside of the bridge. Nice method. I think I'm down to masking off the bridge plate as soon as I sand the top. I'm planning to shellac the top after finish sanding before I sand the sides. I understand that seems to be the method to keep it clean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It looks great! A deep bodied 00 is my next project. You're right; as you get toward the end, things slow down to a snail's pace. Finishing took longer than building.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Looking real good John.

I have a question. What does a deep body do for the sound of the guitar? More volume perhaps or more bass?

Thanks,
Ed
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Coming along nicely. You'll be pickin and a grinnin soon.
John J

Post by John J »

From what I understand the extra 1/4" depth gives you a little more volume and bass.
Last edited by John J on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

Sanded the top to 600. Put a few coats of shellac on for protection while I sand the back and sides. Plan on a couple of coats of Zinsser seal coat for pore fill and then go the Tru Oil route. My test pieces look very nice.
Learning every day.
John J

Post by John J »

Hi Diane.
I'm planning my next one already and pretty sure I'm going to do a 00 as well. What kind of woods are you thinking? I wonder if certain woods/combinations work better for the small body guitars.
Thoughts anyone?

John
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

John J wrote:Hi Diane.
I'm planning my next one already and pretty sure I'm going to do a 00 as well. What kind of woods are you thinking? I wonder if certain woods/combinations work better for the small body guitars.
Thoughts anyone?

John
Hi John,

I'm using cherry for the sides and back, and engelmann spruce for the top; I'm using ebony for the fingerboard and bridge, along with bone for the nut and saddle. I'm hoping this combination will give it a well rounded sound. I'm making a deep body, so hopefully that will help with the volume and bass. The neck will be cherry.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
John J

Post by John J »

Working on the finish. I feel that I'm the least skilled in this part of the project. The pores did not fill very well but I actually don't mind that so much. The wood has so much character. A couple of questions though. I've done 3 coats of Zinsser seal coat and about 5 coats of Tru Oil. Can you do anything about the pores at this point? More bothersome is that I have found some scratches I hadent noticed before. Once again can anything be done now?
Learning every day.