My 000 Deep Body Kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: My 000 Deep Body Kit

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You've certainly done a good job; I hope it sounds as good as it looks.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
John J

Post by John J »

Back and sides just about there. First coat on the top. I now know why they call if finishing. If you started with this part of your build I think you might just give up. Hopefully one gets more proficient with repeated attempts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Patience is definitely needed for the finishing process, because there is no shortcut. If there was, I would have found one. LOL It's looking good.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Jcolvin

Post by Jcolvin »

Looking awesome! Did you do anything to fill the pores? Or did you decide you like the look better with them unfilled? I finished my first two guitars with Tru Oil and to fill the pores I wet sanded with the Tru Oil pushing the slurry around to fill the pores. I had to do that maybe, 6 times before they were filled on the Rosewood. It was a ton of work, and on my current build I plan to spray a water based product from LMI, and pore fill with a clear water based filler as well. So we'll see if that's any easier...
John J

Post by John J »

I did many coats of Zinsser seal coat wiped on and then sanded back. The sides are pretty good but you can still see some pores on the back. Final pictures are posted in the show it off forum. But the more I play it and live the sound the less I care about the minor things.
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

John J wrote:I did many coats of Zinsser seal coat wiped on and then sanded back. The sides are pretty good but you can still see some pores on the back. Final pictures are posted in the show it off forum. But the more I play it and live the sound the less I care about the minor things.
I used Zinsser as well for pore filling. It takes many, many coats, and when you think you're done, it takes more. I mixed my own shellac for the finish. I'll never regret using this method, because the effect on the wood was magical.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars