My Ooops project, Working on a special strap.

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Benjy

Re: My Ooops project

Post by Benjy »

Well, I just didn't think that I did a good job and I did not like it, soooo Sunday afternoon I sanded off the burst, I just finished clearing the body again. It came out nice. The guitar just looks a lot more "classy" to me now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Yes that will be a nice looking guitar. Your burst looked alright as well, but I do like the look of that top now
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Beautiful! I like the bearclaw grain in the top. Too bad to cover that up!

As an aside, you have no idea how attractive those pictures of your yard with dead leaves and bare ground and NO SNOW look to me! We're still buried under two feet or more.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
B Shuler2006

Post by B Shuler2006 »

I agree! That top has too much character to cover it up! Nice job!
Brandon Shuler
Shuler Guitars
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

MaineGeezer wrote:Beautiful! I like the bearclaw grain in the top. Too bad to cover that up!

As an aside, you have no idea how attractive those pictures of your yard with dead leaves and bare ground and NO SNOW look to me! We're still buried under two feet or more.

So, I guess that you don't want to know that it was 75 degrees today?

I agree about the wood grain, It was just to cool looking to cover it up.

I hope to do a little polishing on it this week end. How long do you guys wait until you glue the neck on?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Hey, it made it all the way to 43 yesterday! I think that's the warmest it's been since sometime in December.

Re: gluing on the neck, I haven't gotten that far yet, so I don't know when to do it. I have the impression though that it's one of the last things to do.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

If you are using a mortice and tenon joint for the neck, jus bolt it together and string it up. This gives you a chance to see how your neck joint is after everything settles. After a couple of months, correct the neck joint as needed, then re-bolt the neck with no glue and put just a small spot of glue under the fretboard extension to keep it from buzzing and to make it easy to remove in the future.

I have one I finished in November and I had forgotten that it was not yet glued until just now - no buzzing, great action - i may not ever finish it!

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It would have been a shame to cover that beautiful bearclaw top. I think you made a very wise decision, and you'll be much happier in the end.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

I have been on vacation this week, The first part I took my wife and daughter down to Charleston, SC for some beautiful 75 degree sunny days. Came home Wednesday to rainy cloudy days so I was able to finish up the neck, leveled and polished the frets, glue on the bridge, rough in the nut and saddle. I put some strings on last night and played for a little while. WOW, I am impressed! My nephew came over and I recorded him playing a little.

http://youtu.be/X3svDWJDIpk

http://youtu.be/_x149eZVtNw

I still have to dial her in, but I believe that will be easy. Doesn't look to far off at the moment. I thought that I would let it settle in for a few days and then start fine tuning the set up.

Do you normally wait a few days, weeks or does it really matter?

The next step is to make a guitar strap, I have some alligator leather that I am going to use for that!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Benjy on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You did a really good job. It looks good, it sounds good, and I wish I played like your nephew! I hope you get immense joy out of playing it.

Diane
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com