My Ooops project, Working on a special strap.

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
David L

Re: My Ooops project

Post by David L »

Hey Ed, I like the idea of using a screw also but like you I also don't use the strap button thingy so I'm reluctant to use the screw.

David L
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Ed and David you will probably want to install an end wedge anyway to clean up the bottom seam of your guitars. That could cover the hole. Having the screw through the time that you profile the rims and install the linings would make a big difference in the ease of keeping things square.
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

Everything went great with the routing! I have some friends coming over so it will be tomorrow before I get any pictures up.

David and Ed, if you don't use a strap button on the rear you can just add a tail wedge and not drill a hole through it. My problem now is that my hole is about 1/4 inch off from where I would like the strap button to be so I am contemplating filling the hole before I glue on the tail piece...
CavalierKingCharles

Post by CavalierKingCharles »

Looking real good. I like the "Martin Kit" label, I never saw that before.
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

My wife and I made the Martin label. In Bill Cory's book he had an example of a label he made.

The routing went fine, I would have never got it right without the router stand I made. I used 2 bar clamps from harbor freight to make the jig.

More pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Benjy on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

I glued the tailpiece on tonight. Tomorrow I plan to install the bindings.

More pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Can you show a couple of more shots of the binding jig you made? Not clear from the pohotos. thanks.

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Your guitar is look great! You're really coming along.

I made a label for my OM too. It serves as a record of the build: OM (body, bracing type) CSPW (Carpathian Spruce, Peruvian Walnut), 482014 (48th week of 2014), 001 (first gutiar).

Since the theme is roses, I found a small vintage brass seal with a rose on it, and sapphire blue colored wax a couple of weeks ago. I'm affixing a seal to the corner of the label the next time I change the strings. LOL

Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

Great looking label Diane! I didn't think about putting a serial number on it until after I glued the label in.

Here are some more pictures of the router stand. If I build another guitar, I would make the jig with wheels maybe from a drawer slide. That way it would not "bind" at all.
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

I finished the tail wedge last night so this morning I started gluing on the bindings and purflings.