My Ooops project, Working on a special strap.

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Benjy

My Ooops project, Working on a special strap.

Post by Benjy »

Well, I was surfing ebay the other day and ran across a damaged Martin Dred kit, I made the guy an offer and he accepted it, Ooops! I have no idea why I did that, talking about being in over your head! Ha! Ha!

luckily I found ya'll and Bill Corey's book. I have made some progress and thought I would share some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Benjy on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benjy

Re: My Ooops project

Post by Benjy »

More Pictures, I copied the carving from youtube videos of carving done in the Martin Factory. I hope I didn't mess anything up....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

It sure does not look like you are over your head. Looks like a fun project.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

looks great , the only thing I would add is to screw the neck block from the out side and the tail block. I stopped using inside block spreaders , in leu of the screws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcM3GErOI_A
your work looks nice. I think you used wood to cap the X brace. I use the cotton patch , in 15 years of working on guitars I have fixed many of them , but not one cloth .
you will have a good result , nice clean work
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

What was the damage in the kit?

Ed
Ed M
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

This, so far, has been a very fun project! Between Bill Corey's book " and "Blues Creek Guitars, John Hall" videos, I have learned a lot! Excellent information!!!!!!

I have never used a router and I did not own one. I was "sweating" just putting the "back strip" in. I finally bought a router, played with it some and went for it this past Saturday, it turned out great. Now I am sweating routing the binding! I will need some help!

John, I did see the video on screwing the neck and tail blocks to the form, I will do that tonight. I was actually gluing the cotton patch on the cross braces while I was posting this last night so glad to know that is "the way" to do it.

Ed, the top was cracked straight down the middle from the sound hole, under where the bridge will be to the tail block. Right were if you had book matched top you would glue them together. Also the neck block had one of the support ears broken off. I bought it for basically half price so I was excited that was all that was wrong. You can see the crack in the above picture but you can not feel it and it looks like the grain in person. I believe that I am going to "sunburst" finish it, so I can cover up the crack if it shows up to bad...

Thanks for the comments and feel free to post suggestions!

Thanks,
Benjy
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

Here are some more pictures. I have the body glued up and I have been researching how to cut the binding and purfling channels. I built a tower to float the router and ordered the router bit and bearings. I will do a test run to see how it works. I am really sweating this part but that's what makes it exciting! I'll take some pictures of the tower after I get it worked out.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

That looks really fine.

To secure the tail block, I put a 1/4" bolt through the end pin hole and the mold. The neck block got a woodscrew.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

I did take John's advise and I put a screw in the neck and tail blocks. I hope I got them in the right spot before I glued and screwed them together! I guess it won't be long now before I find out!

My router bits came in today so headed out to the garage to see if my jig works...
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

John

I like this idea of screwing into the blocks while the rim is in the mold. I don't put a strap button in the heel block so I will have to come up with a way to hide the screw hole!!

Ed
Ed M