Guitar #2. 00-12 Fret with Engelmann/Cherry

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
RnB

Re: New Project. 00-12 Fret with Engelmann/Cherry

Post by RnB »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:Fretboard is COMPLETE !
Exquisite Vine Inlay Diane. Very pretty. Nice work...

Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

RnB wrote:
Diane Kauffmds wrote:Fretboard is COMPLETE !
Exquisite Vine Inlay Diane. Very pretty. Nice work...

Thank you so very much. I've made 2 fretboards with 42 style inlay, and one headplate with a rose inlay. This was a bit more ambitious.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
John J

Post by John J »

Wow. Beautiful work Diane.
Learning every day.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

John J wrote:Wow. Beautiful work Diane.
Thank you John.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've sized and profiled the rims, installed the neck and tail blocks, and installed the kerfing. Today, I inlaid the pommele mahogany end wedge with BWB purfling.
top sides profiled.jpg
rims1.jpg
rims finished.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

The fret board is amazing!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:The fret board is amazing!
Thank you Kevin.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

yes amazing inlay work. The guitar looks to coming along nicely as well.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Guitar #2. 00-12 Fret with Engelmann/Cherry

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

After a brief hiatus to have surgery on my right paw, I'm starting again. I've gotten a lot done in the past couple of days. I braced the top and back yesterday. I just got done voicing the top and back. They are ready to install on the sides. I started at 0430 this morning; I'm hoping to get the box together today, but that may be a bit ambitious.

This guitar is turning into an experiment; either it'll sound great or it'll be great fuel for the fireplace.

I decided on a 10' radius for the back; I made this decision based on the Taylor GS Mini, which has a great bass response, while still having a well rounded voice. I thinned the back to the Martin 00-42SC model specs of .095", so I figured the smaller radius would allow for greater strength, as well as bass. The tap is excellent, with good sustain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Guitar #2. 00-12 Fret with Engelmann/Cherry

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I had a hard time deciding on the bracing scheme for the top. I owe a thank you to johnnparchem, who was a tremendous help.

The top has turned into a monster experiment. I thicknessed it to .100". I want to increase the bass response, since it's a 00, so I forward shifted the braces. But in doing so, I had to increase the angle of the X-brace. Since this is a 00-12 fret, the bridge is shifted about 1" toward the bottom of the guitar. As a result, I ended up with a VERY W-I-D-E bridge patch! Of course, this is in the lower bout where I had hoped to get increased bass response.

Big Note to Self: SELF, LISTEN UP!!! Decide on your bracing pattern BEFORE designing and installing the bridge patch!

Originally, I had decided that one finger brace would be sufficient, along with 2 tone bars. I got to thinking about the size of the guitar. It seemed like it would be over braced with 2 tone bars. I decided to post a question in the forum. Thank you to John Hall for his answer, and this is where johnnparchem was a huge help, since he's done this kind of bracing scheme. After getting the information from the two John's, I decided on a single tone bar.

But (isn't there always a but?), I had already designed the bridge patch to accomodate 2 tone bars, and installed it. Since the patch is so wide, I made it thinner and radiused it to match the top, to remove mass, but I cut it off grain, so that the bridge pins and strings won't sit on the grainline; It should lend strength, without bulk (famous last words). Since I decided on the last minute bracing change, I had to graft a piece onto the left side, since I shifted the single tonebar at a steeper angle (hence my self note).

The bridge patch is made of mahogany, thanks to LMI's great packaging. They sent some binding packed between 2 nice pieces of mahogany and I am not one to waste wood, especially mahogany.

I still may add 2 pieces of soundhole type bracing, to be placed on either side of the neck block. This would prevent any cracking of the top by the fretboard extension, a problem that I've seen several times in old guitars.

The top has a very nice tap with sustain:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars