Guitar #2. 00-12 Fret with Engelmann/Cherry

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Guitar #2. 00-12 Fret with Engelmann/Cherry

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It begins. I've been gathering materials for my next guitar, a 12 fret, 00 24.9" scale guitar. I'm using engelmann spruce paired with cherry for the back and sides. Originally I was going to inlay the fretboard and headstock with wood of my own design, but I've decided to go with MOP/abalone. I've decided on an ebony headstock veneer, as well as an ebony fretboard and bridge.

I wanted to do a cherry-vine motif, on the fretboard. I found a suitable vine, which is white mop/gold mop/abalone, for the fretboard. But, it's designed for a longer scale guitar, so I'm taking apart the inlay and redesigning it. I couldn't find a headstock inlay that remotely matched this vine, so I bought an inlay that is meant for a pickguard. I'll be taking it apart as well and making a design for the head plate.

Check further down in my blog to see how the fretboard and headstock veneer have come together. You'll see the "vine inlay puzzle" that I have to work with to design the fretboard. LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Diane Kauffmds on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Re: New Project. 00-12 Fret with Engelmann/Cherry

Post by MaineGeezer »

Wow! That's ambitious! I have enough trouble inlaying dots! :)

It looks really nice though. I look forward to seeing how you do with the cherry, as I'm thinking about my next guitar -- even though I have a long way to go on the first one -- and wondering about cherry.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Here is the cherry for the back and sides. I'm going to use potassium dichromate to oxidize the wood, just before I finish the guitar. It will be bound in pommel mahogany.

I'm still trying to decide whether to make the neck out of mahogany or cherry. Opinions are welcome.

The set has a fiddleback figure, which is a little hard to see in the photo:

Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

It is going to be nice Diane. I have some Cherry very similar to yours, will probably make a dred from it some day.
Nice inlay, you are a brave one!

Kevin
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

I love that cherry. That's going to make a gorgeous guitar.

Ed

Post by   »

Potassium dichromate is not necessary. Cherry will oxidize nicely and naturally in sunlight once it has a coat or two of finish. I have a cherry desktop and four kitchen stools that tanned real well in less than a week of sun exposure.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

cool project
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

Wow! That is a cool fretboard!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

tommyboy wrote:Potassium dichromate is not necessary. Cherry will oxidize nicely and naturally in sunlight once it has a coat or two of finish. I have a cherry desktop and four kitchen stools that tanned real well in less than a week of sun exposure.
I sat the sides and back in the Sun for about 3 hours, about a month ago, when we got a weird warm spell. Then I remembered that they would be sanded. LOL So much for oxidation.

I worry a little about it the oxidation being even on all sides. I guess I'll cross that road when I get to it. Thanks Tom.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Well, I think I've gathered the parts. This is what you call a "pieced together" guitar.

I decided that I wanted a 12 fret guitar, but with a 1 3/4" width at the nut and 2 1/4" at the 12th fret, which is what I'm comfortable with. I also decided on cherry for the dovetail neck, to match the sides and back. I found a luthier in Ohio that made one for me, along with the heel block. It's being sent to me today.

The only thing that concerns me is bending the sides; I don't have a bending machine. I do have a very strong, hot steam generator, which is how I bent the figured maple binding on the OM. I hope I can bend the sides the same way.

I took delivery on some killer engelmann for the top; in fact, I have 2 sets. Both have extraordinary tap tone and sustain. After I thin and join them, the one with the best tap and sustain wins.

Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars