#3 black acacia and carpathian OM

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Chuck73

#3 black acacia and carpathian OM

Post by Chuck73 »

I've made some progress on number three so I thought I'd post a few pics. Black acacia back and sides, carpathian spruce top, adirondack spruce braces, osage orange bridge plate. This one will have a honduran rosewood fingerboard. The bridge and rosette are made from an old (honduran?) rosewood marimba bar. This was my first attempt at making my own rosette. Looking forward to carving the braces.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chuck73 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck73

Re: #3 black acacia and carpathian OM

Post by Chuck73 »

A couple more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Looking really good. I like the segmented rosette.
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Looking real good. Where did you get your guitar kit from?

Thanks,
Ed
Chuck73

Post by Chuck73 »

It's not really a kit. I buy the necks, blocks and kerfed lining from martin. The mold I bought from John at blues creek. This black acacia wood set is from RC tonewood. I built a side bender to bend my own sides after my first guitar whose sides i bent over a hot pipe. The adirondack spruce I cut myself from a section of a storm downed tree I found on the side of the road near Raquette lake in the adirondacks. The osage orange I also cut myself from wood I salvaged from a gigantic yard tree that was taken down in my neighborhood. It was the tallest osage orange tree I've ever seen. One trunk growing strait up over two feet in diameter at the base.
mnmusic

Post by mnmusic »

Thanks for the info Chuck.

Ed
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Coming together nicely Chuck. Keep the pics coming.

Post by   »

Chuck, how about a photo with alcohol on the acacia so we can better see the coloring and stripes??
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

love the detail in the rosette the rest looks good also
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danno

Post by Danno »

Really awesome that you are salvaging wood that probably would go to waste and making it into the very best you can make guitars!

It has always upset me to see huge trees just rotting, especially since I was never able to gather any of that wood.

The solution is so simple, if you have the tools and the time. (I have a few of the tools now!)

This group is replanting Brazilian Rosewood - https://www.facebook.com/CaminoVerdePeru?ref=br_tf

I am sure it is just a drop in the bucket, but man, wouldn't we all love to see sustainable Brazilian Rosewood?

Following with interest.

Danno