Second guitar-EI rosewood/carpathian OM

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
mnmusic

Re: Second guitar-EI rosewood/carpathian OM

Post by mnmusic »

I love the bloodwood trim. I bet it will really pop when you put the finish on it. Nice job!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I love the unique use of contrasting woods. The bloodwood really brings out the color of the rosette. The rosette that I used on my project guitar, is almost identical to the one that you've chosen. Your guitar looks really good.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Chuck73

Post by Chuck73 »

I made a couple of bridges today. The ebony one is for this guitar. The other is for my next guitar. A friend gave me a box of old marimba bars and i used one to make the bridge. It's some type of rosewood, most likely honduran; but if anyone has any information on what old marimbas were made from I'd be very interested to know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck73

Post by Chuck73 »

I brought one of the freshly sanded marimba bars to the woodstock showcase this past weekend. A tonewood supplier and an experienced builder both agreed it's brazilian rosewood (D. nigra). I was pretty happy about that.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Chuck73 wrote:I brought one of the freshly sanded marimba bars to the woodstock showcase this past weekend. A tonewood supplier and an experienced builder both agreed it's brazilian rosewood (D. nigra). I was pretty happy about that.
Your guitar should sound very nice with your choice of woods; I'd be really thrilled with a BW bridge.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Marimba's traditionally have used Honduras rosewood and your picture sure looks like Honduras from here but good for you if it is brazilian. Nice bridges.
Chuck73

Post by Chuck73 »

I was thinking honduran as well before I went to the Woodstock luthier showcase last Friday. I showed an unsanded bar to one tonewood supplier and they thought maybe honduran but maybe brazilian. I ended up going back again Sunday and brought the same bar freshly sanded and a different wood supplier seemed pretty certain it was brazilian, and a very well known luthier agreed it was probably brazilian. Either way I'm happy to have more bridge material than I'll ever need. Here's another pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

BRW has a strong identifiable smell, at least every piece I have especially when cut or sanded. It is almost a cinnamon smell, not quite, but it is as unique and identifiable as cinnamon is.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Well whatever it is that's a pretty cool way to get some bridge wood
Chuck73

Post by Chuck73 »

Starting to finish the body-tru oil. Simple abalone dots in fretboard. Neck still needs some sanding before I begin finishing it.