My First Guitar-OM Blog

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: My First Guitar-OM Blog

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

While I'm waiting for the shellac to harden, I'm working on the nut.

1. I used a file and 1/8" chisel to make the nut channel in the neck.

2. I sat the bone blank in the channel and traced a line parallel to the fretboard to match the 15" radius.

3. I added the height of the frets, plus .020" (in this case, .073"), and set my caliper to this measurement. I drew dots to this height, which is the rough measurement of the nut.

4. I put the nut in a clamp and used a file to rough in the nut. I also started rounding the back where the strings will come off the back.

This is as far as I go for now, until the neck is set.

I've got the last 2 thin coats of shellac on the top. The top already had several leveling coats to protect it. I expect to be able to polish out the box either tomorrow or Monday. Then I can set the neck.

Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Do you know about this string spacing calculator? http://www.cigarboxnation.com/profiles/ ... calculator
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

MaineGeezer wrote:Do you know about this string spacing calculator? http://www.cigarboxnation.com/profiles/ ... calculator
Thank you Steve. I was going to search the internet for this information.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I feel like I'm finally making progress. I started this guitar on September 2. With the exception of the week that I had to put my beloved dog to sleep, I work daily on the guitar, usually starting at 5-6am. Finishing is by far the most time consuming and tedious part of the build.

I have a 3" polishing set that fits into my drill. I use it to do the initial polishing. I polish again, by hand, to make sure that the swirl marks are out. The set has a fluffy buffer that I use for good measure.

I feel like I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I've started polishing the top. I did the back, then the sides, leaving the top for last. The top already had several thin coats of shellac; I leveled it today and started polishing.

Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Wow! gorgeous finish
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

johnnparchem wrote:Wow! gorgeous finish
Thank you John. It's taking some elbow grease. There are some areas that can be done better. I'll start back on it tomorrow morning.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Boy that is one shiny guitar. Very nice Diane
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's official...it's a guitar.

After getting the neck set, and truss rod in place, I got the fingerboard glued on. I also got the bridge glued on. I must have done it right because I can't get tissue paper under any corner or edge.

I just got done cleaning it up and doing some polishing; I started at 6am and now it's going on 2am (yet again). It rests in it's new home, the case. I'll start humidification tomorrow; tonight I want the glue to thoroughly cure.

Tomorrow, I'll ream the peg holes, finish the nut and saddle, dress the frets, and install the tuners, then do more polishing...then when I get the nerve, I'll string her up and see how she sounds.

Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Wahoo!!!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Golly that guitar looks GRAND!