Whats best finish over TRU OIL

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Zen

Whats best finish over TRU OIL

Post by Zen »

Hi Guys,
I know Tru Oil can be a finish by itself and I have used it once or twice for that purpose on backs and sides. But I was just wondering has anyone decided to go one step further and use a further coat of a different finish to build a stronger coat. In other words what other finishes are compatible with Tru oil ?
I love using tru oil but sometimes I see finger marks appearing just a little too easily on the sides and back that were done with tru oil over 2 months ago.

I'm not complaining about tru oil but would like to find out if it can or cannot be used with another finish.

Thanks
Rusty
RUSTY
B. Howard

Re: Whats best finish over TRU OIL

Post by B. Howard »

You should always test to confirm these things but I think you could run a lacquer or poly over it.
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
Zen

Post by Zen »

Thanks again Bryan
I will see how that works and let you guys know how it works out. I've emailed BC as well so they may give some tips on what can be used
Cheers
Rusty
RUSTY
Zen

Post by Zen »

Got this message back from Birchwood Casey:

Thank you for your inquiry.
If you ever have issues with the Tru-Oil laying downing nicely, it might be that its getting too thick. This can happen over time.
You can thin the Tru-Oil out with mineral spirits at any time. Even if the Tru-Oil is dried to a solid form.

My other thought is that Tru-Oil doesn’t play nicely with naturally oily woods. ( Exotic woods – Cocobolo, Rosewood etc.) Sometimes it can be a very tricky if not an impossible task for the Tru-Oil to dry properly. Tru-Oil is not compatible with other oil based products or woods.

There should be no problem applying the shellac or nitro on top of the Tru-Oil as long as it is hard and dry.

Something to try in the future, if you are working on an oily piece of wood, dry it out well, then apply a very thin layer of shellac to seal it. Once its sealed and dried the Tru-Oil should set up well and work well.

I hope that helps. If you have any additional questions, let me know.

Thank you

~ Sandy

Sandy Ellertson
Customer Service

Hope this helps others as well and thanks to all who replied.
Rusty
RUSTY