A more-or-less copy of a Martin OM

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Re: A more-or-less copy of a Martin OM

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've declared the finish DONE. The top and sides are pretty good. The back could be better, but from 5 feet away it looks fine, and even up close I probably see more flaws than anyone else will ever notice. The neck finish came out quite nicely.

During my last "lesson" with Carter, we did the final fitting of the neck joint, checked alignment and angle, and it's set to glue in place. We'll do that next session. I am tempted to do it myself, but I'm still learning how to handle hot hide glue and I want to do this first neck glueup with somebody who knows how.

Then the bridge gets glued on, then strings, then I see if it sounds like anything. I'm eager to find out how the 1-13/16" wide neck feels. If I like it, I'll make the neck on guitar #2 the same.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Neck is glued on

Post by MaineGeezer »

Today I glued the neck to the body. Tomorrow I see about figuring out the bridge location.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This is a big milestone. You'll be playing her before you know it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Bridge is glued on

Post by MaineGeezer »

I just glued on the bridge using hot hide glue. It all seemed to go smoothly.

The most difficult part was making two clamping cauls for the clamps at the ends of the bridge. They have to span the lower legs of the X brace. For the next guitar, I'll make the cauls before the box gets closed up, so I can see where the cauls need to fit -- it will be a lot easier!

The socket head capscrews serve to locate the bridge in its proper (I hope) position and also serve as clamps for gluing. I hope they don't get glued in place. In a few minutes I think I'll loosen and re-tighten them to be sure they are free to turn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The finish line is in sight; you'll be doing the setup by day after tomorrow. Good job!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

The bridge hasn't ripped loose

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've put on strings, tuned it up, and the bridge hasn't ripped loose. I guess I got the hot hide glue correct.

I've made the nut, and I think I can declare it done. The saddle is nearly done. It's still a bit high -- the action needs to come down about1/32" at the 12t fret. I need to adjust the intonation of the individual strings by making the string contact point either the front or back edge of the saddle depending on whether it frets sharp or flat at the 12th fret.

I probably need to do a final leveling of the frets.

Otherwise...it's DONE. It's playable. The sound is rich and full. Great bass, clear treble, plenty of volume and separation. Lots of sustain.I'll post final photos and maybe a sound sample in a bit. It's better than I ever expected when I started this project last August.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Congratulations! Can't wait to hear the sample.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

Great job! Congrats on getting it done.
MaineGeezer

More photos than you really need to see

Post by MaineGeezer »

Here are more photos of the completed guitar than you really need to bother with. There is one tiny detail left to do: the ends of the saddle need to be shaped to match the bridge contour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

More.