A more-or-less copy of a Martin OM

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Gluing the X brace to the top

Post by MaineGeezer »

The toolbox by itself is about 15 pounds. The two sections of rail are probably another 15 pounds apiece or more. It should be enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

...and the transverse brace and the tone bars....

Post by MaineGeezer »

It's handy to have a metalworking shop when one needs Heavy Things to put on top of pieces being glued!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Carving the braces

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm finding the process of carving the braces to be a very satisfying meditation. If the chisel is sharp, the shavings peel off so beautifully.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: A more-or-less copy of a Martin OM

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I find that working wood with the chisel and plane to be relaxing too. It's also great occupational therapy for my Parkinson's. Are you hearing the result when you tap? I could hear the difference, even with very small amounts of wood being shaved off the braces. This is my favorite part of building the guitar.

BTW, now I don't feel so strange about the things that I use for weights. Lol
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I'm hearing differences in the sound -- but I have no idea what it means! Apparently Bill Cumpiano doesn't think it means much of anything:
http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Newsletter ... ythree.htm
But of course others are convinced that proper tap-tuning is the Secret of building an exceptional guitar.

I find tapping and listening to be irresistible, whether it can tell me anything useful or not. I suspect Bill is correct that the six points he enumerates in that link are the "Secret" to an exceptional guitar, rather than particular skill in interpreting tap-sounds. Nevertheless, tapping and hearing a clear ringing tone is a lot more encouraging than tapping and hearing a dull thud! My top is ringing pretty well, so I'm encouraged.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

MaineGeezer wrote:I'm hearing differences in the sound -- but I have no idea what it means! Apparently Bill Cumpiano doesn't think it means much of anything:
http://www.cumpiano.com/Home/Newsletter ... ythree.htm
But of course others are convinced that proper tap-tuning is the Secret of building an exceptional guitar.

I find tapping and listening to be irresistible, whether it can tell me anything useful or not. I suspect Bill is correct that the six points he enumerates in that link are the "Secret" to an exceptional guitar, rather than particular skill in interpreting tap-sounds. Nevertheless, tapping and hearing a clear ringing tone is a lot more encouraging than tapping and hearing a dull thud! My top is ringing pretty well, so I'm encouraged.
when I tap, I'm not listening for any note or chord; I'm not even sure it's possible to do that kind of tuning. What I've heard is more of a "bell" ring, that becomes a bit more complex. The biggest thing I've noticed is the beginning of a sustain, rather than the tap just dropping off, but I have really sensitive hearing. Like you, I can't resist listening.

I don't think it's a secret to a great guitar; I think a great sounding guitar is the result of a lot of factors, some we can control and others we can't.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I only use tapping as a way to know the braces are tight. I will look for a note so the top and back are at least a semi tone apart
other than that I don't think , to me at least that tapping tells you much about how the guitar will sound.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Progress.....

Post by MaineGeezer »

Today I made a 2nd bridge plate out of a piece of maple firewood. I split the log to get a quartered slab, then milled it down to final thickness. Getting a nice 0,10" thick bridge plate out of a log is a lot of work! It should be okay, if it doesn't warp.

I also sanded a block to the correct top radius, then used it as a convex form to sand the top radius into the bridge. Details, details.... Like the end blocks, which also needed a large radius on them to match the curve of the sides at the neck and at the tail. The curvature of the sides is approximately a 20' radius across the tail block and a 16' radius behind the neck. So those are done. I should be about ready to glue the end blocks to the sides, I think. Then the kerfing.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The Devil is in the details, but it sounds like you're getting them right. It's 2:30am and I'm calling it quits. I started at 5:30 this morning. I tried to figure out how many hours I have in this build, but there's no way to even estimate. The building of the box went quick for me; it's the finishing that's wearing me down.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

I glued in the bridge plate...I hope it's okay

Post by MaineGeezer »

This afternoon I glued in the bridge plate I carved out out a piece of maple firewood. Cutting a flat piece of wood 0.10" thick out of a random log is a lot of work! I split off a slab as a starting point so it would be quartered and have perpendicular grain. That part worked quite well.

Carter curves the back and front of his bridge plates; based on what he's seen doing repair work, he believes a straight back or front edge on a bridge plate acts as a stress concentrator and becomes a line of weakness. Curving those edges better distributes the forces, or at least that's the theory. Sounds good to me....

My bridge plate is larger than most that I've seen. I hope it's not too large!