A more-or-less copy of a Martin OM

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
MaineGeezer

Inlay strip down the center of the back

Post by MaineGeezer »

I installed the inlay strip down the center of the back: straight abalone strips bordered by narrow b/w purfling. Even though all I had to do was cut a straight groove, the router wandered a bit wide for about an inch, leaving a short space along one side of the inlay. I was able to cut a sliver of the back wood and fill in the space so unless you know it's there I doubt you'd notice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Re: A more-or-less copy of a Martin OM

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It's looking great. Are you using maple for the fretboard?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

No, it's dogwood. There are some photos of the fingerboard in earlier posts. Why dogwood...I had a piece of dogwood somebody gave me. I didn't know what to do with it, so I made the bridge out of it. In the process I discovered that it's a very hard wood with interesting medullary rays (or however you spell that), so I searched around for a piece suitable for a fingerboard. I finally tracked down a piece. Very few people sell it -- at least, I couldn't find many.

It's something different. We'll see how it works out in practice.

n.b the head cap is also dogwood (see picture in a previous post). I book-matched two slices to make the cap.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Nice looking backstrip. I have come to really like the abalone bling, especially paired with rosewood
MaineGeezer

Bracing laid out on top

Post by MaineGeezer »

Carter, the luthier I'm working with, has developed his own curved bracing design that he's used quite successfully on his version of a Gibson L-1. (see for example viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6890 )

He has also built an experimental OM using his curved bracing design, but with less success. The treble is great, but the bass seems to be a bit weak. Originally I had planned to use the curved bracing on this guitar, just for something different, but in the end I've decided (I think) to go with the time-tested X bracing. Anyway, I've laid out the X bracing pattern on the underside of the top, as can be seen in the photo. Although it would be nice to help (maybe) advance the technology of bracing guitar tops, I think I'll pass on the opportunity to make history.

[Edit update: Carter reports that his curved-bracing OM has developed good bass response after a few months of playing and just getting used to itself. Now I guess I'll have to build another guitar so I can use his bracing scheme.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MaineGeezer on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I love the fact that you're using local woods. The dogwood bridge is truly beautiful. I'll be interested in how this turns out. Your guitar is looking really good.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Sides are profiled

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've profiled the sides. Though it's not obvious in this picture, it's a pair of sides stuck together with double-sided tape, stuck to an acrylic template with dou le-sided tape.

I had a short period of panic and extreme bummer-ism when I thought I'd ruined the sides by cutting them too short. Upon further examination, I think they are either the correct length or only slightly short, which can be compensated for by making the decorative tail block wedge a bit wider or possibly doing something at the neck block. I hope.

I violated one of the general building rules: don't cut to final size until you absolutely have to.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I know the feeling of having your heart drop out of your chest when you think you've made a mistake. Thank goodness you can compensate with the wedge.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

X brace notched

Post by MaineGeezer »

I just assembled the X brace for the top. The fit of the joint is snug, as it should be. I'll be adding a top splicing piece to tie the joint together.
MaineGeezer

Bending the sides

Post by MaineGeezer »

Today Carter and I bent the sides. They came out quite well.