1970's Martin D-28 Kit

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Joliver3

1970's Martin D-28 Kit

Post by Joliver3 »

Hello,

I bought a Martin D-28 kit off of eBay several years ago. I've just recently started working on it and figured I'd do a build thread. I'm in college right now so I only get to work on it occasionally when I go home for a weekend. I will be making it left handed and hopefully fixing all the problems 70's Martins are known for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: 1970's Martin D-28 Kit

Post by tippie53 »

I am sure it will be interesting
and don't be afraid to ask questions we are all here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Looking good!
Slacker......
Joliver3

Post by Joliver3 »

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. My next step is going to be bracing the top and I'm slightly unsure about what I want to do. The plans I have are from Stewart MacDonald so I'm sure they're fine but I know it was done slightly different on really old Martins, what are the pros and cons to the different bracing arrangements? I've got some more pictures to catch up to where I'm at with it now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joliver3

Post by Joliver3 »

I think my first back joining went fairly well. I had a problem getting the joint line to be square and straight but after much struggling it turned out pretty much perfect.
Joliver3

Post by Joliver3 »

So here is where I'm at now. The soundboard has some slight stains on it but I figure it will either sand out or add character. I've got a week off coming up soon and I'm hoping to get at least a bit more done then. Any advice of what to do for bracing would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Joliver3

Post by Joliver3 »

I have been really busy lately but just got a little bit of time to work on this and made some major progress. The soundboard is finished and glued to the sides along with the back. I routed binding channels and installed binding. I don't have pictures of every step but here are some of the progress. I have quite a bit of scraping to do but the binding turned out decent. With the body mostly complete its time to focus on the neck. Any tips on fitting dovetails? It is pre made but needs to drop down roughly 1/4 of an inch.

Thanks!
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Wow it is turning into a guitar! Looking really good.
Joliver3

Post by Joliver3 »

I'm now about 80% done with binding scraping.
Benjy

Post by Benjy »

That is looking great!