New acoustic from Blues Creek Guitars for my oldest son...

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
justrfb

Re: New acoustic from Blues Creek Guitars for my oldest son.

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
Still here... Just working on other things that are needed for daily living... It is a task having 4 cars in the family and keeping them maintained and ready for work the next day! I finished gluing all the binding last evening and will have pictures when the tape comes off. After a time away from the shop and the wood, it is always so nice to go back. Thanks again for all the help and support.

Sincerely,
Rich
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello again.
Finally got back down to my shop last night. I am ready for final body sanding before staining and finishing and I also used the awesome tool I bought from David L., a Stew Mac Fret Press set that is used in a drill press. It worked very well. I am ready to glue the fret board to the neck now too. 2 questions for you please... My son would like this guitar stained pretty dark... I am going to use Tru-Oil over the stain. Any good recommendations on the kind of stain I should use? Also, looking over the "height over the bridge" thread, I am worried that I will get this wrong again like I did on my 1'st build where John Hall was gracious enough to have me to his shop and we did a neck reset on a newly built guitar because I was too low at the bridge. With a fretted fret board on the neck, how high off the bridge should I be? Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Rich
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

we need more pictures LOL I am so glad you are having a good time making this heirloom.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello All.
It has been a little while... Here is some progress. I think it is turning out OK, a "camp fire" guitar compared to most of the builds on here. Thanks for looking...

Sincerely,
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Some more pics...

Sincerely,
Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It looks great. What kind of binding are you using?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

You are too kind... Thank you. The binding is Rosewood supplied and formed by none other than John at Blues Creek Guitars. It is an all mahogany kit from the same... Wonderful kit and impeccable service.

Sincerely,
Rich
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Great looking guitar. How are you going to finish it?
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Hello.
Thank you. I am a big fan of Tru-oil. This is my second acoustic (I have built 2 electrics using nitrocellulose finish) and I am going Tru-Oil over dark stain. I am excited to finish this guitar as it is going much longer than I planned... I want to get this one right.

Sincerely,
Rich
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looks super Rich, don't under estimate your work, you are doing a great job. Please don't burn it in the campfire...oh, that's not what you meant, right? :)

Keep the pictures coming.

Kevin