A nylon string crossover......

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: A nylon string crossover......

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Well have I told you about the one that......................

I got my top done and was preparing to fit it to the rims. I laid them on the top to line things up and it just didn't look right. I said to my self....oh know, you didn't. Oh no! I got my ruler out and measured from the line on the top where the edge should be to where the saddle should be and my bridge patch was about an inch farther south down the top. Then I realized that I had placed the bridge patch for a 12 fret to the body neck. This guitar has a 14 fret neck to body. The neck is already cut, and I don't want it to be 12 fret.
I was not going to put in bridge patch on this top and then changed my mind just as I was starting the bracing....so, I screwed up. Now this top is still usable if I make a 12 fret crossover down the road, but not what I'm doing this time.
So I looked through my spruce tops and picked out a nice one and started this process over. I did get the rosette in, the same birdseye redwood, only I made it a little narrower on this one, 3/8" instead of 1/2", so with the BWB purflings it is 1/2" overall. I like it better. It was strange I had trouble this time with the redwood splitting. The first ring I cut out broke at least 6 times....yeah I'd CA it then it would break again while trying to fit it all in the channels..Good grief. So I cut another ring, CA'd it on both sides, and even this one split after I had it sitting in glue in the channel...but all went well, the fit was good and tight, and the rosette looks really good. The split looks like the grain so I'm happy with it.
Bracing will come this week and I'll post a pic when that is done.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Better to find it now than later! The top looks good so you need to start a 12 fret to the body crossover as well.
Kevin Sjostrand

Okay so I picked out a nice Sitka spruce top and went with that. Same style rosette with the birdseye redwood. I did the top bracing the same. I has a nice tap tone, so we will see whether I did it good or not when it makes music. :>)
I did get the back glued on and the top glued on just this morning. It went well doing it in the morning when it is 70 degrees instead of 95. The glue wants to start gelling and skinning way to quickly in that heat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kevin Sjostrand on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The top looks great. You have a real classical guitar fan pattern so it should sound very much like a classical guitar.
Kevin Sjostrand

Oops. I posted the same picture, one was suppose to show the bracing.
Here we go.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Box is closed, sides sanded level. Side to top at the neck is a flat 90 degrees. Next step is to rout the mortise, and put the tenon on the neck heel and see how the geometry looks. The box is nice. Sounds like a drum! I like the look of the Sapele.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Neck is fit to the guitar, not yet a perfect fit, there will be some adjustment to do there, bolt on mortise and tenon. Fretboard is made and located on the neck. So far all is good. Next is to bind the body and shape the heel.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

looking good. Nice to see it coming together.
Kevin Sjostrand

Now the binding is on and the neck is fit with some rough shaping of the heel. Simple appointments on this one.
I am contemplating bolting on the neck, gluing down the fretboard, and then finishing the neck and fretboard with them attached to the guitar. I know since I've got this bolt on I can do as I always have, but for some strange reason I'm compelled to continue as if I could not remove the neck just for the experience of it.
So you guys either tell me I'm crazy, or give me the high sign on this will ya!!
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The guitar is looking great!

I have finished both ways, I think it would be worth the experience of finishing with the neck on. The nylon string guitar will go a long time before you need a neck reset so I do not think there is a future an issue having the joint finished.