A nylon string crossover......

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: A nylon string crossover......

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I took the plunge and glued the fretboard down this morning, so I'm committed now to finishing this guitar from here with the neck attached. :>)
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Very nice Kevin!
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Hey Darryl, nice to see you back!
I started carving the neck shaft yesterday. Just got a start, that was all I could do.
Kevin Sjostrand

I'll get some pictures up. Neck is carved, frets are installed. I'm ready to fill gaps, sand and prep for finishing, which won't take place until spring!
Kevin Sjostrand

I know this isn't very exciting news, but I don't want you to think I'm slacking. I've made a little progress.
The fret board is on and the frets are installed and dressed. I was disappointed when I found that after gluing down the fretboard, it had shifted......besides the fact that I had it pinned in place in 3 places......a little over 1//32" off center. I guess I will have to find a better way to apply even clamping pressure next time. Anyway, it is okay, only off a little bit.
I started the cocobolo bridge on Saturday, just getting some initial cuts on the router table for the tie block bone and routing the saddle slot on my drill press using the cross vise and end mill.
I also sanded the entire guitar to 240 grit and cleaned up any thing needing that, and any GAPS, of which I did not find!!
So we are basically ready to start the finishing process. That won't happen until after my trip. I am considering trying a french polish on this guitar also.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Completed the bridge last night, except for drilling the string holes. The outside bone strip on the tie block picked up some oil or something and is stained. I isn't scraping, sanding, or wiping off with acetone :( so I will probably rout it off and glue on a new one. I don't like the look.
But I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out for my first classical bridge.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Your guitar is coming along great. Love the bridge.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Thank you Diane. It is fun to be moving into some new territory with this guitar. And the next one will be a full on classical which I also have not done before.
By the way, your work is very good, precise and clean. Good job!

Kevin
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Thank you Diane. It is fun to be moving into some new territory with this guitar. And the next one will be a full on classical which I also have not done before.
By the way, your work is very good, precise and clean. Good job!

Kevin
Thank you Kevin.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Kevin Sjostrand

I've had the guitar in a case with a desiccant container at 45% humidity for a couple of weeks. The top had come back almost the dome it had before it sunk in. I decided to glue the bridge on, install the tuners, make the nut and saddle and I'm going to string it up in the "white" tonight and play this thing for awhile until early spring when the humidity drops enough so I can put the french polish on it.
When I glued on the bridge, it pulled the top back up into a dome just like I needed. There is still a very minor sunken area behind the bridge but it is almost flat again. So now I'll have to finish around the bridge but I am happy to see the top back where it needs to be. I'm excited to hear and play this guitar.
I will let you know how that goes, maybe even brave a sound clip! :)

Kevin