A nylon string crossover......

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
CavalierKingCharles

Re: A nylon string crossover......

Post by CavalierKingCharles »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:I managed to restore my mess adequately. The top is sound and the fretboard extension lays flat and tight against the top covering any of the repaired area so much so that I am thinking I will not glue it down. The neck is fitting good to the body and the bolts feel secure. I'm going to go ahead and French polish the body and neck separate, then assemble, set up the saddle height and play it. I'll post some pics after my trip to the coast this weekend. :)

Kevin
That's great new Kevin, looking forward to the pics.
On a side note, I would glue the extension down. I think it adds to the structural integrity.

SA
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Glad to hear it is coming together again.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I have my first guitar I built 7 years ago, never glued down the fretboard, and it is probably my best sounding guitar out of all 8 steel strings I've made.
Kevin Sjostrand

I think I have the back pore filled using the sawdust and shellac method. Pretty easy really, but it can make a gooey mess too if too much shellac is used, I've found.
I have some shellac on the sides, so they will be next. The neck is now not attached so I will do it last I think, pore filling and finishing.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

This process can go pretty fast, but it is going slow for me as I am learning and playing with the process some. I am used to trying to get this perfect, super flat, smooth finish and this isn't turning out that way. I will be tempted when I think there is enough shellac on there to sand it flat, wet sand it and hand rub it out. Hmmm.
So I'm almost done with the back, hope to finish the french polishing by the end of this weekend. It is pretty though with the shellac on it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:This process can go pretty fast, but it is going slow for me as I am learning and playing with the process some. I am used to trying to get this perfect, super flat, smooth finish and this isn't turning out that way. I will be tempted when I think there is enough shellac on there to sand it flat, wet sand it and hand rub it out. Hmmm.
So I'm almost done with the back, hope to finish the french polishing by the end of this weekend. It is pretty though with the shellac on it!
Kevin,

This is how I finished my guitar, including the pore fill with shellac. After several coats, I wet sanded it between the coats to make the mirror finish. I used 600 grit. Anything rougher, and it went through the finish. It seems like no matter how many coats of shellac you use, it's still results in a thin finish.

I'm really happy with how the finish turned out. Now, 3 months down the road, it's still looking fine.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com