A new one started today...another Drednaught

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: A new one started today...another Drednaught

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I got the neck carved this weekend, all but some touch up and final sanding. Also, tried as I might, the neck alignment is off, so I have a little flossing to do on one side of the heel to bring it in line.....sheesh!

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

.....and some more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Saturday was fretting day. I actually got the fretboard and the neck done. Here is a pic of the frets in, not yet dressed.
I started laying out the bridge blank yesterday, snuck about 1/2 hour in the shop, hard to do on Mothers Day.

Hope to be pore filling this coming weekend.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Getting so close!
RnB

Post by RnB »

johnnparchem wrote:Getting so close!
Yup - looking good...! This is where patience plays into the equation.
Kevin Sjostrand

Got started on the bridge last night. Roughed out on the band saw after creating a flat and square sanded side with my 12" disc sander. I'll sand the bottom to fit the guitar top tonight, and then sand in the wings, bring the thickness down to right about 3/8" and then contour the top. The last thing I do is place the bridge in a little holder jig I made, clamp that with the bridge in it in a cross vise and I'll mill an 1/8" slot for the bridge. Most of you have seen this before but I'll post some pics of how I do this in case it helps someone with ideas :>)

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Working on the bridge.
I made the jig to work with my sander so I could put nice contours on the bridge wings. First I cut most of the wood away on the bandsaw so the sander doesn't have to work so hard. Works like a champ.

Kevin
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Real nice work Kevin! Looks great...

Sincerely,
Rich

Post by   »

You do this all without a workbench? Remarkable!
Kevin Sjostrand

Actually I have 4 work benches Tommy but they are mostly covered with bench top tools. I have a solid core door hinged to the back of one of those benches, that is supported by knock down saw horses. I can pull those and the bench top lays back when I need the space, but this is where I do most of my building so it stays up most of the time. Then I have another work board, 2' x 4' that I can lay on another set of saw horses, as I have the sander set on in the last set of pictures. I usually use this when I want the sanding mess closer to the shop door, or just when I need more clear top space for joining backs and the like.
I make good use of a 1/2 garage size space for sure.

Kevin