A new one started today...another Drednaught

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Darryl Young

Re: A new one started today...another Drednaught

Post by Darryl Young »

It looks awesome Kevin! You are a machine!
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Darryl, the machine threw a screw!

I attached the neck after polishing, cinched down the bolts, (not overly tight!), and got 3 small fractures in the finish along the neck checks where they contact the body...apparently I still have some evenness to the fit. I hate it when that happens. I also think I'm a little too thin on the heel, so I'm getting the spray rig out tonight and going to spray a few more coats on the heel portion. At least it is nitro and this is easily done, and it has happened to me before, but I HATE it when it happens.
I do have the bridge on, bridge pins fit. :)

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Sounds like you get a really tight fit on the cheeks! I wonder if anyone has procedural advise on how to avoid it. May be very small drips of lacquer on the cheek that provides stress points on a good fitting joint.
Kevin Sjostrand

Yeah John,
I had strip sanded the cheeks after the finish was applied and thought it was a nice fit with smooth surfaces, but I can see from marks on the body that I don't have even contact, so those cheeks are not flat, or the finish on the body isn't....but when I check it with a straight edge it looks flat. Hmmm...so I will work on this fit again before I spray tonight.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

To revisit this one. The guitar has been strung up in the case for a few weeks, taken out a couple of times to show it off. Last night I pull it out, and I have a small fracture in the finish on the side next to the neck cheek up near the binding. GOOD GRIEF. Maybe I should just leave it alone?
I hope this is not an adhesion issue. It is only about 1/8" across, but has the whitish look. It appears that I need to pull the neck and add a slight amount to the angle anyway to really get the action where I want it so I suppose I'll fix it, but dang. I have the most problems with the finish in this area I think. The guitar is sounding awesome and I'll put a recording of it up soon. Don't know yet when it will get shipped to England.

Kevin