A new one started today...another Drednaught

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

A new one started today...another Drednaught

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

So it has been about 3 months since I finished the last one. Too long, but I finally got started today, Yah!
Not a lot of progress, but it felt good to be in the shop.
This guitar is for an American missionary in England, but not the same guy I made the walnut OM for a couple of years ago. This is a different guy.
Here are the specs:
EIR Back & Sides
Carpatian Spruce top
Honduras Mahogany 3 piece neck
Madagasscar rosewood fretboard and bridge
Bloodwood bindings.
Gold frets and machines
Abalone rosette and top purfling

I made the mahogany kerfing for this one. It takes some time, but a good way to use scraps, and not that hard to make. No special jigs, just the bandsaw and disc sander.
I thought I'd have a couple of years to complete this guitar, but now it looks like it will need to be done before August next year.
I hope to also start the OM crossover guitar for me and build them along side each other.....we shall see if that happens.

So today I thicknessed the sides, bent them and put them in the mold, made the end blocks, cut out all the rough spruce bracing for the back and top, and made the kerfing.
Fun fun fun. By the way, my light bulb bender got up to 400 degrees....yikes!

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Re: A new one started today...another Drednaught

Post by johnnparchem »

Nice looking EIR. Sounds like it will be a great guitar. Ina, glad you are back in the shop.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Looks like another nice build.

Must have some good bulbs- 400 degrees maybe I should start using mine as a shop heater.

Bruce,
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Should be a good one!
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Yeah, it has never gotten that hot before, about 325 tops. I reset the timer for 20 minutes to do a second cook when the temp was down to about 150, went back out and found the temp at about 402...kind of scared me, but when it was cooled off and I took the side out, man was it set....and not scorched either.
I the first side I took out without doing a second cook, and it had a bit of spring back.
So, from now on, I cook it twice.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

A bit of progress this last week.
Kerfing is in, back joined with center strip and back strip glued to the inside. The braces are made and ready to be glued in next.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Made my own kerfing for this one too!
Kevin Sjostrand

Worked a bit on Saturday, steady progress on this one. I think I've done more in 3 weeks then I did in the first 3 months on the last one!
Glued on the back braces, joined the top.
In between I made another hand plane.
This one is a small block plane, 5.5" long, lignum vitae sole with myrtlewood. One inch iron bedded at 40 degrees with a 25 degree grind, bevel up. It works like a champ as you can see, very fine shavings!

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

here is the hand plane.....
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

That is a cool looking plane. What a great gift idea for your forum buddies! The guitar looks like it is coming along as well. I am about to start on a Drednaught as well.