Martin 00 cutaway with arm bevel #12 so close

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Re: Martin 00 12 Fret - cutaway with arm bevel #12

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks Darryl,

Before I glue on the top I make sure that the rims are correctly profiled so that when the top is glued to the rims I have the correct angle for the fret board extension. I like to be able to roll a 2.5 mm drill bit under the straight edge and have it stop at the saddle location. Like in the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I used fish glue for the first time to glue down the top, although once I smelled it I am sure I used it in elementary school. I followed the clamping with a slightly damp cloth as it is water soluble.

naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

John, you're off to a great start with this one. I'll be following with much interest, as a bevel seems like such a nice thing to have. That and the cutaway are things I really want to try sometime.
Congrats as well on the retirement. I hope to do the same in about 2 1/2 years. We'll have to meet somewhere between our two cities and talk retirement stuff!!
Bob
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

The following picture illustrates what is different about Kent Everett's bevel procedure than others that I had looked at before starting. The purfling and the binding edge for the top and rims are set before the guitar is assembled. My fear of the bevel was how to get a clean edge on the purflings\top or the purfling\rim hand cutting on the finished body. Setting this up before assembly allowed me to use all sorts of tools to get a clean edge.

Once I start binding I will glue the top purfling in the bevel backed by the top cutout from cutting the top. On the binding side I will thin the binding height where I need to follow the bevel.

Once the guitar is bound, I can comeback, with rasps and or sanding to shape the bevel. Then I will have a smooth surface to glue a piece of veneer. The veneer can be loosely cut as I can trim and sand back the over hang and it should blend in to the thinned binding on the rim and can blend into the top purfling.

Although I am not using a purfling on the rims, this method would have allowed me to do that as I am bending the binding into the bevel.

To make life a little easier I am using ebony bindings and ebony veneer.

We shall see.

naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

johnnparchem wrote: To make life a little easier I am using ebony bindings and ebony veneer.

We shall see.
How far is that tongue in your cheek? :)
I like a guy who likes a challenge.
Good stuff.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

John, this one is looking really good so far. I'm having a little trouble following the binding process around the bevel, so I'll look forward to how it looks when done, the perhaps I'll "get it"! Me too wants to say congrats on graduating from working! Ha ha. I believe we are the same age so I am immensely jealous as I will have to work a few more years.
By the way I have a good friend who is going to Seattle this week to interview for a job. We don't want to see them move, but was wondering, how do you like living there??

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks Kevin. I have been here since 1980 and can not imagine anywhere else. I have lived in the city itself about 30 of those years. I love the weather, the mountains, the sound and the city itself. It is very dark in the winter.
Kevin Sjostrand

I've been there a couple of times in my life, once in the summer, once in the spring. The friends are use to the hot central valley of Cali so I don't know if they'd like the weather. They really don't want to move, but he is a mechanical engineer and those jobs aren't "growing on trees" around here.
Thanks.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I came to seattle from Chicago, fun city but hot and humid in the summer and very very cold with snow in the winter. I had no problem making the transition. I wish your friends well and hope things go well with his interview. Then you will have to visit.
Kevin Sjostrand

If they do move there, I will be visiting you!!