Blues Creek Gibson L1 replica in figured maple

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Dave Sayers

Re: Blues Creek Gibson L1 replica in figured maple

Post by Dave Sayers »

Could somebody please see if my definiton of FREE is correct?
Free; not paid for, without cost, no money needed to buy.

Because it seems I have been charged nearly $40 for a FREE DVD on how to build a guitar on at least four guitar kits. 4 * 40= lots of money. To be fair I will not name the culprit until customer support has had a chance to resolve the issue. I'm not even asking for a refund, just a credit note.

Always check those invoices.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that is why we have the free You tube Videos
They are Free No charge cost nadda

I hate when that happens

I saw a sign for free beer bottles , the bottles were free the beer wasn't
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I am guessing that they do offer a free DVD but you can get a $40 discount if you ask not to get the DVD.
Dave Sayers

Post by Dave Sayers »

Customer support now says return the items for a refund. How can you refund free DVD cost? As this companies support is usually very good it's fair to say that it is a massive disappointment. I've seen more accurate information on a Greek tourist menu.
Dave Sayers

Post by Dave Sayers »

Headstock shaping is something that has me holding my breath. Not quite finished shaping yet, but here it is with the tuners loosely fitted. I really do like figured maple, ebony and black tuners. well worth the extra. I can't do a lot more until the body mould arrives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Sayers

Post by Dave Sayers »

Fingerboard fretted and placed roughly in position on neck with nut. How does the placement look to all of you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Sayers

Post by Dave Sayers »

Here I am after my total knee replacement and itching to get back into the workshop. Delivery of some 'priority' items by USPS, mainly a body mould, was so slow that I started on a kit I had bought earlier to tide me over the post op recovery. I know how impatient I can be, so I can work on this one as and when. At least I won't mess up the maple L1 through impatience. This kit was very reasonably priced, and came with the body complete. I've converted the neck to bolt on and while my knee and bruised leg heal I can practice raising a shine on linseed based finish. Lesson 1; strain the stuff before applying.
The old L1 body mould I can use to keep newly bent sides in shape.
Dave Sayers

Post by Dave Sayers »

So, with some mobility restored to my right knee following the insertion of of a new knee joint the L1 progresses. I have fitted the top and back, and there was a generous overhang, which I made a little attachment for the band saw to bring down. The neck seems to be a really good fit, needing only a small amount of adjustment. The heel is a bit prominent but that isn't a problem, although the skunk stripe doesn't line up as well as I had hoped with the back strip so an ebony heel cap will be made.
Now I need to make a decision on how best to bring out the figure in the wood without dyeing it a colour. I really want to keep the white/ebony look. Any suggestions gratefully received as long as they are polite and physically possible.
I haven't decided on whether to fit a pick guard. If I do it will be ebony, but I may keep this one solely for finger picking.

If anyone reading this is scheduled to have a total knee replacement, or thinks that my old mate Arthur Itis might cause them to have one, I can only say that it is wise to follow the instructions on exercising the leg as much as possible after the op, starting on the first day home. It will hurt a heck of a lot, yes, and it will make you feel very, very sick but the reward comes at the 2/3 week physio check up when all the wally wimpers are getting gently told off for not doing their exercises, and I got told that I had regained so much mobility that I could start driving again as long as the insurance agreed, which they did. In any case, if you don't exercise, they will manipulate your leg for you which I have heard is the same as being put through an industrial shredder in full consciousness but very, very slowly. Not good.
Dave Sayers

Post by Dave Sayers »

I can't spoil that black/white contrast, and I will probably not even put a pick guard on, but if I do it will be ebony.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

looks splendid
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com