Laminate Rosewood OM - First Build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
musicman2000

Laminate Rosewood OM - First Build

Post by musicman2000 »

And so it begins. Here sits the beginning of my first build. Since I got my dehumifier a little late, I am letting it sit in the mold for a couple of days to get used to the RH of my work room. In a couple of days, I'll begin gluing. Thanks to all of you who helped me to get up and running.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Laminate Rosewood OM - First Build

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Looking good already Tom.
Keep the pics coming.

Kevin
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Tom, you're off to a good start. Where do you live that you need the dehumidifier. I'm in east Texas, and probably should use one as well.
Bob
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

I live in Baltimore, Maryland. Not as humid as Texas I'm sure, but we still get RH levels around 70 - 75%. Maryland tends to get both extremes - very hot and humid, and below freezing temps in the winter. I would honestly rather have the colder weather. If I could, I would move to upstate New York.

Tom
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

Well, after a little procrastinating (for fear of breaking this thing) construction has finally begun today! It's a gratifying first step for me considering all of the apprehension.

First, I had to sand down one edge of the right rim (it sat a good 1/32" above the other - thanks Martin). You can see in the picture my makeshift clamping system while I gently sanded down the laminate. Took me about an hour to get it flush.

Then came the trimming of the tail block, dry fitting, and gluing/clamping. I decided not to do the tail and neck blocks in the same day. I am trying to take this slow.

In the third picture, you will notice the top of the body where each rim falls short of meeting each other by about 1/16". Do you think this might be a problem? I didn't think it would, considering the neck block will be glued here and the neck will hide that gap sufficiently. I was hoping it would not affect the stability of the guitar.

Can't believe it's finally underway!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Looks good. Don't sweat the gap at the neck block. Like you said the neck will cover.
kyle
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

Neck block - done.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

There is something about seeing bent sides in the mold that really get me excited! :>)
Looking good there. Keep going.

Kevin
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Coming along nice Tom. Keep having fun with it.
kyle
Dave Sayers

Post by Dave Sayers »

A wise choice to make a less expensive laminate first, It's what I did and by the time I finished I had a much better idea of what guitar building was all about.

Might I suggest that you post this motto above the workshop door; "Do not come in if you are extremely annoyed with someone or something. Did I leave notes? If so read them. Think, what did I last do? Check your machine tools for settings before using them. If in doubt walk away and buy the right tool or ask for advice."