Walnut and curly redwood

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
SKBarbour

Walnut and curly redwood

Post by SKBarbour »

It's been a while since I posted a project here, so I figure I would get up to date on the current one. This is an OM with a florentine cutaway. The back and sides are walnut and the top is curly redwood. I know there are some reasons to avoid building with figured tops but many have been successful. I've receive some advice on using the curly redwood as far as top thickness and bracing, so hopefully it will turn out fine. So here are the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
SKBarbour

Re: Walnut and curly redwood

Post by SKBarbour »

A few more pics. The rosette installed and both the top and the back with braces installed. One of the pieces of advice was to make the bridge plate a little wider (from neck to tail) to help keep the bridge from rolling so much. I also went a little taller on the top x brace with no scallops. I kept everything within reason though, I don't want to over build too much and I know not having a lot of experience I will tend to over build as it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Here's one of the rim and then the top and back glued on.
kyle
justrfb

Post by justrfb »

Beautiful work!

Sincerely,
Rich
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Coming along nicely, Kyle. I like the looks of your tapered bracing. Tall and thin flowing out to wide and short.
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Thanks for the kind words. Here is a pic showing the start of the binding process. Binding the point of the cut away is proving to be a challenge, which I expected. I decided to not miter all three corners at the point, instead just miter the edge binding and butt it up to the piece that binds the point. I originally was not going to bind the point and the joint at the sides did not look that bad, but was not sure when I would be doing another florentine. So I decicded to give it a go. After all you can't improve your skill level unless you continue to challenge yourself.
kyle
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

Looking good. I especially like the redwood.

Tom
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Kyle that is a nicely figured top, and you did a really good job on the cutaway binding. That's something that intimidates me. Maybe one of these days.
Looking good!
Bob
SKBarbour

Post by SKBarbour »

Fretboard almost done. I may install a 12th fret marker, I haven't decided yet. Still some cleaning up to do.
kyle
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Kyle

Very nice. What are the issues with the top that caused you to change the bracing - is it the redwood or is it the curliness?

Ed Minch
Ed M