Next build a commission EIR and Carpatian Spruce Dred......

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Kevin Sjostrand

Next build a commission EIR and Carpatian Spruce Dred......

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I won't finish the current project for a couple of months I figure, but I am already planning the next build which is a commission for a dreadnaught with Indian Rosewood, Carpatian Spruce top, probably curly maple bindings, one piece Honduras Mahogany neck, Madagascar Rosewood fretboard and bridge, abalone rosette and top purfling, with bracing on the light side.
This will be my first use of Carpatian spruce. I've read that many who have used it believe it is superior to Adirondack.
Have any of you used it, and what was your opinion of the outcome? I know there are too many factors affecting the sound, but in general????

Kevin
tippie53

Re: Next build a commission EIR and Carpatian Spruce Dred...

Post by tippie53 »

I won't say it is superior but it is a great top. Like anything it is up to the use but Carp makes for a great wood. I do like it a lot.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Ah thanks John, one for the + side.
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I'd really be interested in thoughts on that type top as well.
Kevin, if it interests you, my last guitar had curly Koa for the bindings, and it looks absolutely gorgeous alongside rosewood. I know that maple does as well, although I've never seen one in person. Can't go wrong either way. This will be a fun build to watch.
Any idea of start date?
Bob
Kevin Sjostrand

Bob, I put curly Koa on a cocobolo and a walnut guitar and it looked great on both. This customer hasn't decided for sure yet between the high contrast look of maple, or the darker more subdued look of bloodwood. Two extremes, but he hasn't made the decision yet.
The current guitar I'm hoping to have completed sometime in September, probably late in the month. Then I need to take a wife break (you do know about those don't you? If not, you better learn), and I have some jigs to make, and.....I bought a wood lathe and I need to get that set up for my wife to use (and me but she has an interest in it), so I may delay the start on the next one a couple of months...we shall see.

Kevin