Classical guitar Body FP finished

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
johnnparchem

Re: Classical guitar #11 ready for French polish.

Post by johnnparchem »

Before starting finishing for the top I thought it prudent to carve a bridge. It was too many photos for this block so I posted the processes in a separate post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6198

Here are the still somewhat rough results.

johnnparchem

Re: Classical guitar - fretted, bridge placed; on to FP of

Post by johnnparchem »

I still have a bit of FP to do on the back and sides but I thought I would place the bridge, fret the guitar and prep the top for FP before I went back to finishing.

I used my luthier suppliers center line tool to place and square the bridge to the neck. I use a 1/4 brass bar to set my nut spacing, in this case I can use it to assure the tool is at the nut position. I have marks for the different sized fret boards I use. A note of caution to those who read this, double check fret measuring tools. I have an ibex fret ruler and its standard classical scale is not any standard I know. It would have placed the bridge about 4 mm long. (that is more than the 652 I was looking for.)

Once the bridge is placed I tape around it then use that tape to place a strip I will keep clean during the FP.
A TIP: Dog ear the tape to make it easy to get an end to peal off. I am trying to have a nail mark free top this time.

I was afraid I would chip off the point if I hammered in the two partial frets. I filed off the barbs, pressed them in and super glued them in.

I use a spray bottle and a bit of glue before I pound in the frets. I also used a triangle file to bevel the edges.
Tool Tip The seabag is a soft diving weight filled with 4 pounds of lead shot.

Part of the advantage of putting the frets on after gluing the fret board to the neck. I was able to level sand the fret board in location. Each and every fret is touching the straight edge. There was no need to level and redress the frets.

I use a stewmac fret file (seen in the back ground) To clean the fret to the edge of the fret board and then put a slight bevel on the frets. I use the pictured fret file to round the edges. I like this file as it has a rounded save edge (totally safe on the wood) and a flat safe edge. Need to be carefull with the edge.

So now the top is prepped with a new was coat of shellac. Here is where I am.

robbie o'brien

Re: Classical guitar #11 ready for French polish.

Post by robbie o'brien »

[quote="johnnparchem"]Sorry you have to indulge me, here are a few pictures after one session of FP on the back and sides. I have not started the top.

I can not say enough about Robbie O'Brien French polishing technique and his on line class. I have successfully learned a few different methods including Milbure's. Robbie's is the clearest most straight forward, and repeatable method I have tried. He takes the magic out of the process and puts it in the results.

Thank you John for the endorsement. Your guitar looks wonderful!
Happy Finishing!
johnnparchem

Re: Classical guitar - fretted, bridge placed; on to FP of

Post by johnnparchem »

I still really need to do a bit more work finishing the guitar.r I used a vacuum clamp to glue on the bridge; I probably should have waited another day or two as the gasket really marred to FP in in one area. I ended up having to sand that area. I now have the finish built back up but where I sanded it is slightly lighter than the surrounding wood. At this point I will leave it for a week. I am wondering as the finish cures the color will start to match better. We shall see. I am not above taking the whole top finish down and starting all over.

In any case I made a rough cut nut and saddle, stung the E strings and got to hear the guitar. It sounds like it will be OK. All of my geometry is spot on so the guitar will set up nicely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Classical guitar - bridge on - tried the E strings

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Bummer on the finish John, but it will probably blend in fine I'm thinking.
I know you will do a video so we can hear it, right?

Kevin
musicman2000

Post by musicman2000 »

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Tom
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Sure I will do a video with my embarrassing playing. Btw... anyone who reads my posts know that I will never let anything sit for a week like I suggested in my last post. I went back and looked and ultimately the light area was not the issue. The area around my repair had built up creating a visible line that made the repair area look light. So with 600 grit sandpaper I sanded down the area around the repair, easy with a block did a couple more FP sessions and now all looks good. I should be finished with the top and neck tomorrow.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I finished the FP today on the body. I still have just a bit of work to do on the neck and head plate veneer and after the finish cures for a day or two I will hand buff the finish. Here are a few pictures on how it turned out. The next post will be in show it off.

SKBarbour

Re: Classical guitar Body FP finished

Post by SKBarbour »

Beautiful job John! I bet it will sound just as good as it looks.
kyle