Pre-war type build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
Darryl Young

Re: Pre-war type build

Post by Darryl Young »

I think this is a great idea.......instead of a sunburst top.......have a sunburnt top <smile>

Seriously, I think it would look cool. In fact, the idea of a distressed build is way cool. The luthier I recently met (well, talked on the phone with a couple of times), John Gathright, that lives in SW Arkansas builds distressed mandolins. I think he had ideas and his son worked at a furniture company that used aging techniques. They put them together and, viola, a new mandolin that looks like it was built in the '30s.

BTW, in the old days people would "fire" wood so it would wear better. For example, the hub of a wagon wheel was burnt so it would wear better on the axle. So I'm not sure but I'm guessing burning the surface may have some kind of "case hardening" effect. If so, could it make a top stiffer at the same thickness? I'm guessing there is an art to getting just the right amount of burn without going overboard. Somewhere I have a picture of a persimmon deer grunt call I own that is "burnt" in places to make it look nice. Not sure what technique was used but I'm guessing it was done while still in the lathe.
Ben-Had wrote:
johnnparchem wrote:Tim, this project is really cool. Thank you for posting it. The burnt top is great. It is funny my wife has been pushing me to build a burnt wood guitar as a finishing technique. Looking at this guitar I might just try it.
You have the "burning" experience, I say go for it. Who knows we may start a new trend!
Slacker......
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Owner picked up the guitar Friday to play during 4 shows he had Saturday and there were still a couple things that needed doing so it's coming back Thursday so I can finish up and get some "final" pics.
Tim Benware
Legolas

Post by Legolas »

Yeah, I wanna see good final pics!
B. Howard

Post by B. Howard »

I can see it know, Luthiers from here to Seattle and back will be smoking their tops for better tone...
You never know what you are capable of until you actually try....

Brian Howard
www.brianhowardguitars.com
Taylor authorized service
Custom finishing services

Brian howard's guitar building & repair blog
http://www.brianhowardguitars.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

vote for pics
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

B. Howard wrote:I can see it know, Luthiers from here to Seattle and back will be smoking their tops for better tone...
Actually in Seattle we are allowed to smoke other stuff now. Maybe we will at least think the tone is better.
Legolas

Post by Legolas »

Another vote for more pics!!!!!
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

The day before he was to return it for the final work his wife had a miscarriage. He is supposed to be bringing it back this coming Monday. Will post when complete.
Tim Benware